• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I shoot PMC for plinking when I lag behind in my reloading. It is a good load and I like the brass. I carry Underwood for serious business and use my reloads for hunting.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Whats everyones opinion on the Sig offerings? Looks like their 180 FMJ is listed at 1250 fps.... and its around $5/box cheaper than the Remington.
    Quality ammo from my experience. It is fast and cheaper and as good a quality as the others. What's not to like.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Only read the first pg so far...
    Is there a reason you NEED FMJ in a full power load?

Some places like Lehigh Defense make some amazing projectiles, and they load them pretty hot, or you can buy Underwood loaded with Lehigh projectiles. That's what I carry in a full power 357 magnum as a wolf/bear back-up gun when in Idaho mountains.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Only read the first pg so far...
    Is there a reason you NEED FMJ in a full power load?

Some places like Lehigh Defense make some amazing projectiles, and they load them pretty hot, or you can buy Underwood loaded with Lehigh projectiles. That's what I carry in a full power 357 magnum as a wolf/bear back-up gun when in Idaho mountains.

I mainly punch steel with my 10mm's.
    No need to buy anything fancy beyond FMJ to just punish steel.
    Running the full house 1550 FPS rounds is mostly for personal pleasure.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    When I had my 10mm, I shot a bunch of Underwood, one bit of BB and the Sig stiff in addition to UMC and PPU (the latter two are often the only 10mm LGS may have).

I'm wondering if Underwood is close to too hot. Sure it's fun, but pulled down loads look to be overbook at times and 800-x, which is pretty temp sensitive. I'd suggest not making it your exclusive 10mm load and not consuming a couple thousand rounds of it.

I'm sure a couple hundred rounds or intermittent use is harmless. Especially in a famously strong G20/G40.

Definitely invest in a stiffer recoil spring if you are going to shoot the hot stuff in a Glock. If you are shooting it out of a blowback gun (mech tech, Oly, etc) might want to stick with something no hotter than Sig/Winchester Silvertip. Basically 650lb-ft or less. Original Norma spec was just under 650lb-ft (200fr @1200pfs or 170gr @ 1300fps).

IMO, 700+ lb-ft 10mm is a little too much of regular use and most guns aren't designed for that level (even if they can withstand it because of safety factor).

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When I had my 10mm, I shot a bunch of Underwood, one bit of BB and the Sig stiff in addition to UMC and PPU (the latter two are often the only 10mm LGS may have).

I'm wondering if Underwood is close to too hot. Sure it's fun, but pulled down loads look to be overbook at times and 800-x, which is pretty temp sensitive. I'd suggest not making it your exclusive 10mm load and not consuming a couple thousand rounds of it.

I'm sure a couple hundred rounds or intermittent use is harmless. Especially in a famously strong G20/G40.

Definitely invest in a stiffer recoil spring if you are going to shoot the hot stuff in a Glock. If you are shooting it out of a blowback gun (mech tech, Oly, etc) might want to stick with something no hotter than Sig/Winchester Silvertip. Basically 650lb-ft or less. Original Norma spec was just under 650lb-ft (200fr @1200pfs or 170gr @ 1300fps).

IMO, 700+ lb-ft 10mm is a little too much of regular use and most guns aren't designed for that level (even if they can withstand it because of safety factor).

Both of mt 10mm's are full custom builds with seriously good parts. Built and tuned for the full house Underwood offerings. Both barrels are ported so that helps. Even with this edge built in I do not run them exclusively. Cost is one factor and letting the frames live longer is another.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Both of mt 10mm's are full custom builds with seriously good parts. Built and tuned for the full house Underwood offerings. Both barrels are ported so that helps. Even with this edge built in I do not run them exclusively. Cost is one factor and letting the frames live longer is another.

Yep
    Another thing to think about to help the frame and slide is to use a shock buffer, one of the little soft plastic buffers that get chewed up over a few hundred rounds, then get replaced.
    I've used these little buffers for the last 25 years with excellent results.

Top Bottom