• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Hi Lance - a 29 right our of the box will of course be able to handle a full 10mm load, Glock does a great job and my 9mm and .40 Glocks will eat any ammo that I can feed them. 2nd - I don't know of any great loads off the top of my head.

I ended up getting the .40 (instead of 10mm) due to ammo availability and prices, but the 10mm is a very hot round! In that small of a package (the 29 is the subcompact, right?) it'll be a little zippy in your hand. I've only fired full size 10mms, and while it's a great round, I'd pick a .45 or a .40 over it every time. Just my two bits, not trying to sounds preachy. Any new glock is a great glock

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've got a G20SF so I can't speak on how a G29 handles, but it should be able to hanlde full power loads without any modifications. I can point you in the direction of some good factory ammo if you're interested. Georgia Arms produces 10mm and uses starline brass. I've bought their 180gr FMJ ammo and it's shot very well. If you're going to get into the 10mm, you're probably going to want to learn to reload at some time and starline brass is excellent.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I've had the G29 since it first came out like 15+ years ago and EDCed it ever since. I have maybe 5k+ rounds through it and love it. Once you learn to shoot with full house loads, everything else will be a piece of cake.

It's a handful, but it's very controllable for what it is. If you are expecting it to feel like a 9mm you'll be disappointed. Get the LWD 40 barrel for it to practice with .40 and to also have ammo flexibility.

The G20, the 29's bigger brother, is the softest shooting 10mm on the market. and the 29 can use G20 mags.

And because I haven't gotten to post it in a while:
    10mm-2.jpg

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    I agree with shibumiseeker. I have a G20 and a G29sf. The 20 is super easy to shoot with hot loads. I just got the 29 and I have to say that I like shooting it better than my old G26. The 29 isn't as snappy as the 26 was. It is a little bigger too witch i ended up really liking.

I can't say enough good things about the pair.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I have found that Longshot powder works very well with full power 10 mm loads. Consult the manufacturer's data. However, I have only used this in a 6 1/2" S&W 610. Not sure of how it would work on the shorter barrel
    My bowling pin load is: 9.5 gr. Longshot, 180 gr. Montana Gold jacketed flat point, Winchester LP primer. gives right around 1350 FPS out of the long barrel and is murder on the pins. Very clean load. NOTE this is the top end of the manual and used in a N Frame revolver.

Cannondale

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    "I have found that Longshot powder works very well with full power 10 mm loads. Consult the manufacturer's data. However, I have only used this in a 6 1/2" S&W 610. Not sure of how it would work on the shorter barrel
    My bowling pin load is: 9.5 gr. Longshot, 180 gr. Montana Gold jacketed flat point, Winchester LP primer. gives right around 1350 FPS out of the long barrel and is murder on the pins. Very clean load. NOTE this is the top end of the manual and used in a N Frame revolver."

I second the recommendation for Longshot. In my G20, I use 9.5 gr Longshot, 155gr Montana Gold JHP, Federal LP Primer & Starline Brass. This chronos at 1400 FPS. Nice thing about this load is I use it behind the same bullet as I use for my 40 S&W load.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I also use Longshot in my 1911 Commander My load is 9.1 with 180 gr bullet. it gives 1240 FPS out of 4.25" barrel. Extremely accurate. I use 8.6 when I just want to target shoot. very accurate also.

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    For whatever reason (and it is not for lack of experience or trying other powders), I have stuck with Unique for both the 10mm and .45 ACP. In the 10, I use a load of 8.3-8.5 grains with a 155 grain jacketed bullet. Is it dirty? Yup. Is it easier for me to use the same powder for almost everything I shoot a lot of (pistol and shotgun)? Yup. Are there other powders that are just as versatile? Sure there are. I just like the smell of the powder and don't care about how dirty it is - I just clean it up after i shoot.
    On a side note, just pick what sounds reasonable and go with it. Reloading is so much fun and lets you customize loads to your purpose. I think that it is really a great way to understand guns and what you are doing.

Dirtball

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Look up Double Tap ammo, they load sell full loads and they are not cheap but you get 50rds instead of 20 for about $50. I bought a box of Powerball 135gr yesterday for $31 and it was only 20rd so the price is worth it i guess.

Top Bottom