• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hi-pointfan1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Gary, IN
    TIA to everyone who offers advice on this subject. I went clay shooting for the first time with a used shotgun I purchased at the recent INDY 5000.

As I was shooting the shotgun kept jamming on 2nd/3rd round - Failure To Extract. First round was no problem second either jammed when I cocked the pump back to extract.

Almost as though the shell was expanding from the heat and getting stuck in the chamber.

I was using Federal Ammunition - Multi-Purpose Load -

12 Gauge - 3 Dram Eq - 1 1/8oz shot - 7 1/2 shot - 2 3/4 Inches

The shotgun I am using is a (stamped on barrel):
    J.C. Higgins Model-20-12GA.
    Sears. Roebuck and Co. 583.58

Proof Tested 12GA.
    2 3/4" Chamber

I didnt even know this was possible, Ive heard of jamming FTF/FTE from semi-autos but never from pump action shotgun. Anyone know how I can fix this? Is it the gun? Is it the ammo?

Thank god I tested this thing because in a worst case scenario for home defense this would have caught me totally of guard like WTF? :draw: :dunno: :( lol

Thanks again guys :patriot:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I know the Winchester silver-brassed loads have a tendency to swell with heat and they can get sticky in the chamber, especially in 870s, but the Federal stuff is usually GTG. Sounds like the same problem though, I would suggest polishing the chamber if possible or trying different loads.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    When you take the empty out by hand, is there some resistance, does it feel like it is binding up? Have you scrubbed it down good and then lubed it?

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    TIA to everyone who offers advice on this subject. I went clay shooting for the first time with a used shotgun I purchased at the recent INDY 5000.

As I was shooting the shotgun kept jamming on 2nd/3rd round - Failure To Extract. First round was no problem second either jammed when I cocked the pump back to extract.

Almost as though the shell was expanding from the heat and getting stuck in the chamber.

I was using Federal Ammunition - Multi-Purpose Load -

12 Gauge - 3 Dram Eq - 1 1/8oz shot - 7 1/2 shot - 2 3/4 Inches

The shotgun I am using is a (stamped on barrel):
    J.C. Higgins Model-20-12GA.
    Sears. Roebuck and Co. 583.58

Proof Tested 12GA.
    2 3/4" Chamber

I didnt even know this was possible, Ive heard of jamming FTF/FTE from semi-autos but never from pump action shotgun. Anyone know how I can fix this? Is it the gun? Is it the ammo?

Thank god I tested this thing because in a worst case scenario for home defense this would have caught me totally of guard like WTF? :draw: :dunno: :( lol

Thanks again guys :patriot:
    There is no such thing as a mechanical device that can never malfunction.

hi-pointfan1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Gary, IN
    When you take the empty out by hand, is there some resistance, does it feel like it is binding up? Have you scrubbed it down good and then lubed it?

Order of events:
    1. aim, pull trigger, fire
    2. retract forestock to eject spent casing
    3. half way back the fore-stock would jam and would not budge forward or backward
    4. I would push fore-stock as hard as I could forward until it finally gave in and slid all the way forward.
    5. Then I would finally rack-back as usual and the spent case would finally come out with new round waiting to seat in chamber.

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    Order of events:
    3. half way back the fore-stock would jam and would not budge forward or backward
    4. I would push fore-stock as hard as I could forward until it finally gave in and slid all the way forward.
    5. Then I would finally rack-back as usual and the spent case would finally come out with new round waiting to seat in chamber.

Might have a burr some where along the inner slide rail or maybe even a bent pin. Have you tried lubing it up?

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Order of events:
    Did you clean it and/or fix it yet?

Does it do this when the gun is unloaded? If so your wood forestock may be swollen and rubbing on the barrel. Do you see rub marks on the barrel near the chamber?

A friend just had this problem with an 870 that spent decades in the high dry east of Washington state. Took it over the Mountains and down to Seattle WHAM gun no worky, forestock stock swelled. Take it off and sand where it rubs.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I am unfamiliar with that particular firearm, but I had FTEs constantly with my first 870. The ramp to the ejector spring plate was chipped off 90* to the bore. Shell would come out halfway and stick between the ejector housing and the barrel.

arnold5300

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Hi it wasn't the one with a cracked stock was it ? If so it was put together with different parts. sounds like it has the wrong trigger assembly or has a broken trigger assembly most likely the reason it's jamming up.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I am voting for worn parts....I am not real familiar with these but if it was mine I would lead towards a couple of worn parts have got the timing off and are jamming up inside the action.........You can determine if it is a heat and/or expansion problem just cycling a bunch of empty rounds through and see if it still does it....:twocents:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    No, you can't determine if it is a swelling/heat problem by cycling empty rounds through it. It is the act of firing certain types of shells that causes the brass to swell and get stuck in the chamber. Heat from firing + certain brass metallurgy is the root cause of this problem. Actual live testing is required to recreate the issue.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Yes to this.

Also, if this was a gun that has seen a few thousand shells, the chamber can get a nasty plastic residue that needs to be scrubbed out. The more you shoot, the worse this problem is going to get.

Some days, cheap shells aren't worth the savings.

arnold5300

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    I'll be at indy this weekend can look at it for you on Saturday. I stay back by the gun parts guy from Iowa. If not he can tell you what is wrong with it. Only thing ever wears is the slide or someone replaces the bolt with the wrong one. Broken trigger assembly is most likely the problem the two tabs in the front break off and the assembly drops down locking it up or worse will let it fire before it locks up correctly.

Top Bottom