• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bayrider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    My first time at bat so be understanding. 54 years ago I thought I would make my father, a cabinet and pattern maker
    happy by refinishing his 45-70 that had a bit of rust and dings in the finish. We won't go into how he reacted but needless to say he didn't increase my nonexistant allowance. I actually did a decent job for a 14 yr. old being the son of a craftsman. Unfortunately the metal was left without much protection and 42 yrs. later, hurricane Floyd entered in to the picture and added its touch to the barrel. I just got it back from a smith who gently re- did the bluing. The gun is complete with the exception of the cartouche. Not knowing the importance of it as a kid, I sanded it off to really smoothen out the stock.

I have several other nice short and long guns that escaped my handy work and enjoy shooting. All my guns get attention at the range or in the field but I believe the Springfield deserves a rest and will hang on the wall for a while.

As a newby to the forum I want to say I am excited to be part of the discussion group and hope you all will be helpful to one who doesn't take himself or his collection too seriously but enjoys the comaraderie of those who can appreciate beautiful hand work and the love of 2nd Ammendment and all that it entails.

Last edited:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I tried to sharpen a Nazi dagger my Uncle brought back from WWII. Definitely a no-no. I also did not know how to take care of anything as a kid and let my great grandmothers black powder Iver Johnson 32 revolver rust. I cleaned it up best I could and now sits with plenty of Eezox coating it.

I have an 1873 Springfield 45-70 I have yet to shoot. I picked up a bunch of black powder substitute round for a great price and look forward to shooting it this summer. Your Springfield will make a nice display.

Top Bottom