• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I have been practicing alot with my springfield 1911. Just wondering if any other 1911 owners have the same issue with shooting high? If I aim about an inch below were I want the bullet to go its dead on acurate? Ive been practing trigger pull, drawing, ect. Is it me, the sights,? Thanks

1911 nut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2010
    Nothwest In.
    might be the mainspring housing . I had the same problem 20 yrs. ago I switched to an arched housing & problem solved . I now use wilson's V-Grip housing & it works wonderfully

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    Based on the picture you have posted, your 1911 has fixed sights. Such sights are usually adjustable for windage easily. However, changing elevation requires modifying the front sight...with a file. Or replacing the front sight completely.

Regardless, fixed sights are lower cost and very durable. For most handguns they are quite suitable. However, each gun with fixed sights will shoot different ammo types to slightly different impact points all other things being equal. Further, each type of ammo will only shoot to point aim within a very small range of distances.

So for your gun, it may be shooting high because of the distance you are shooting at or the type of ammo you are using, or a combination. Or it may not be the gun at all - it could be you. W/o knowing how much trigger time you have, I cannot judge this factor.

Anyway, before trading out any parts, you should do a few tests.

Rested Position, Same Distance: from the distance you normally shoot at, shoot the gun from a rest of some sort and see if that changes the point of impact. If yes, the issue is likely technique and you should seek help from an instructor or more experienced 1911 shooter. If no, then the gun is likely shooting that specific bullet high at that distance.

Rested Position, Same Distance, Different ammo: Pick some other ammo, preferably with a fairly dissimilar bullet weight and repeat the above test at the same distance. If the point of impact changes, then your technique is likely fine.

Different Distance, Original Ammo: Go back to the original ammo and shoot at a different distance from a rested position. Should be different by at least 3-5 yards to ensure validity. If the point of impact changes (it should), then your technique is likely fine.

Second Shooter: Have a friend shoot the gun and/or run through some of these tests and see if the results change.

Moving on, if the gun shoots one ammo to the same point of impact rested and unrested and then shoots a different ammo at the same distance to a different point of aim, then your technique is probably fine and you likely have found an ammo that shoots high at that distance. Likewise, if the same ammo shoots to two different impact points at two different distances, then again your technique is fine and the gun is likely working as intended.

So how do you fix this? Two choices. One, switch to a different ammo that shoots to point of aim at your desired shooting distance. Two, change the rear sight. If you are going to be shooting a variety of ammo and/or develop your own hand loads, having an adjustable rear sight likely is your best option assuming the gun is otherwise functioning correctly.

Springfield and Novak both make adjustable rear sights that will fit in the Novak-style cut on your the rear of your slide. A new sight is relatively inexpensive and the install is not that hard either.

Anyway, good luck!

Last edited:

AJBB87

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Here
    The best way to determine if it's you or the gun is to take you out of it...

Like was posted above. Let a friend shoot it (Plan B I'd say...)

Or (in my opinion) the best option, shoot it from a supported rest and see how your groups look.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    is it possible it's the way you line the sights up? do you go for the "pumpkin on the post" method or do you place the front sight center of the bullseye?

maybe i'm just a bad shooter (ok, i AM a bad shooter :) ), but i've noticed that some guns shoot better with different methods. i would try this first, then have at least 1 or 2 1911 shooters try the gun before messing with anything.

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    It sounds as though your pistol is sighted in for a six o'clock hold.

target_six_o_clock.jpg

Top Bottom