• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jselke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    im looking to build a 1911. I was wondering what the best components for this build would be and how i should start. If i should by a kit or just get separate frame receiver and parts.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    A lot depends on your experience level. Building one isn't something you want to take on if you don't already know how to work on them.
    It is not like an AR where you just put everything together.

However assuming you are novice or a little better with the 1911 I suggest that you talk to Bob Serva at Fusion Firearms. I have done 4 kits from them. They are great kits with a lot of different options.

Unless you have some real nice equipment to fit the barrel, slide and frame his kits come with matching slide, frame and barrel so you don't go to all the trouble of building something that isn't accurate. :twocents:

I would be glad to show you some of his product if you are near Avon at all

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    im looking to build a 1911. I was wondering what the best components for this build would be and how i should start. If i should by a kit or just get separate frame receiver and parts.

Good place to even start is to buy the Kuhnhausen vol 1 & 2 books.

Go to 1911pro.com and sign up. Some of the best 1911 smiths out there started up this site, plus theres good info on it.

A lot depends on your experience level. Building one isn't something you want to take on if you don't already know how to work on them.
    It is not like an AR where you just put everything together.

However assuming you are novice or a little better with the 1911 I suggest that you talk to Bob Serva at Fusion Firearms. I have done 4 kits from them. They are great kits with a lot of different options.

Unless you have some real nice equipment to fit the barrel, slide and frame his kits come with matching slide, frame and barrel so you don't go to all the trouble of building something that isn't accurate. :twocents:

I would be glad to show you some of his product if you are near Avon at all

Whats the price they sell them for? Not being nosey, but I'm getting ready to slick up an RIA and branch off from there.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I would look at caspian and get as much done from them as you can such as slide/frame fit, and any machining. They don't charge much relatively speaking for your choice of sight cuts, checkering, serrating, initial beavertail cut, beveling etc. By doing that and using say a Kart NM "pre-fit" barrel you can do a lot on your own. Select good trigger components like cylinder-slide and quality small parts and you can have a really nice build for a decent price.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Good place to even start is to buy the Kuhnhausen vol 1 & 2 books.

Go to 1911pro.com and sign up. Some of the best 1911 smiths out there started up this site, plus theres good info on it.

Whats the price they sell them for? Not being nosey, but I'm getting ready to slick up an RIA and branch off from there.

Fusion Firearms

There are a lot of options but I think the pricing is good. Check out the site

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Last time I checked Brownells had frame and slide and barrel sets all prefit. The only thing about the Wilson sets is they take a lot of handwork and polishing to get all the machine marks out and you are somewhat limited with their front dovetail cut. Here is one that I built using a Wilson frame and Caspian slide and Nighthawk barrel:
    IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0755.jpg

Top Bottom