• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Ok, so at some point I'm going to acquire the 1911 build project I started back from my dad...

Since I'm trying to learn to do more on my own, have a few questions about work that needs done on it...

How difficult is it to fit the frame to slide?
    Fitting a safety?
    Fitting the trigger?
    Barrel hood and bushing fitting?

I have everything to finish the gun except barrel and sights, so thinking about getting it back and getting it all together at some point...

What special tools are absolutely ESSENTIAL, and which ones are just nice to have? I could see this might not be my first and last 1911 project, so a few 1911-specific tools might be a worthwhile investment...

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Too much hard earned knowledge is needed to be passed on for a mere internet forum.

I suggest the Kuhnhausen manual just as a bare minimum start. And maybe an apprentanceship at a 1911 gunsmith. or at least a mentor.

Folks have studied and practiced for years to perfect what you are wanting to do.

Good luck.

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    That is totally your decision. But yes, it would be an excellent choice and one that I would recommend to someone who had to ask these questions.

With all due respect.

It is not easy to do what you are looking to do.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    That is totally your decision. But yes, it would be an excellent choice and one that I would recommend to someone who had to ask these questions.

With all due respect.

It is not easy to do what you are looking to do.

Well, I've read a bit about it, but not done any precision work like that yet, and wasn't sure if they fixtures and such (for slide fitting) were absolutely neccessary, or just made the job much easier.

I do believe when the time comes, I'll be shopping around for a good smith with a reasonable wait time, lol. If I try it myself and screw my slide/frame all up, I'll be mad at myself.

It's one thing if I know a mistake can be fixable, or cheap, but this could end up being neither if I get it wrong, and at most, unsafe.

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    If all you want is one custom gun, pay someone to do it for you. If you want to learn to do the work yourself, there is no reason why you can't. The worlds best gunsmiths had to be trained, they weren't born smithin guns.

Kuhnhausens' book is good, there are many others as well. how much money you invest in specific tooling will depend on how far into it you want to get, some basic hand tools and enough patience will go a long way. The key to success is in the ability to do precise work, removing very small amounts of metal from the right places and at very precise angles will do wonders for a trigger, one badly cut angle though (which you may not even be able to see other than with magnification) and you could end up with a full auto 1911.

I have a couple tools from Ed Brown, sear jig, bobtail jig, and that's about it as far as 1911 specific tools. I have done trigger jobs, bobbed tails, changed safetys, sights, crowned barrels, removed FPBs, etc... I enjoy doing it, and haven't ruined a gun.....yet.

Attention to detail and patience are the keys, if you have those, you can do it.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    The Kuhnhausen book is a "must have" for you. It will tell you all the tools you need, plus has step by step instructions with illustrations.

These books vol#1 and vol#2 for 1911 are great, everything from building simple to complexed projects, to troubleshooting your 1911 and magazine issures:rockwoot::twocents:

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Well I think I'll definitely check the books out, as I need to start building up my "gun library" a bit, as I always seem to have one project or another I want to get into. Having the reference to see if whatever project is something I really want to tackle could save me a lot of headache... I've got a couple books on the 1911, but mainly customizing, not initial build and fitting, so it sounds like at least a good start on an education and general knowledge.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    From what I've seen of gunsmiths, the good ones make their own tools and the pre-made tools are for hobbyists. I like to hear my smith say "yeah, I made a jig to hold the slide while I milled..." Something about that makes me feel like he earned his money and is paying better attention to exactly what needs doin'.

That being said, the pre-made tools are a real boon to all us hobbyists who like to tinker.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Well I think I'll definitely check the books out

I've got it in .rar and can email it to you if you PM me your email address.
    I opened mine in pdf and printed it (208 pages), stuck the pages back to back in document protectors and keep them in a 3-ring binder. That way if my hands are yucky, I can still flip through and refer to an illustration or step, and just wipe off the plastic when done. I'm about to rip a 1911 apart and re-blue the hammer myself. (Thanks to Jay de-burring it for me). :yesway:

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I think sloughfoot makes an excellent point but if you are like me (not enough money or time to wait) finding a smith that fits your budget and time frame can be even a more daunting task then the work that you want done. Get the books read and research, figure out what you can and can't do. You may be surprised at what you can do with a little info from the internet. Ask me how I know. :twocents:

octalman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    If you do it yourself, be prepared to screw up something first time out. Decide what cost of messed up parts will cause you to utter profanities. That is when you hand over to a qualified 'smith. I fitted a "match" barrel using small hand files. Determined to prove it could be done, never again.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have done what I consider quite a bit of 1911 "smithing" over the last couple years and have bought a couple parts twice, But you can't learn if you don't start somewhere.
    As long as you go in with the mentality that you may ruin something.

I have gotten as far as to cut sight dovetails, bobtail cut frame for beavertail safeties, trigger jobs and have even made slide cuts and ported barrels successfully.

When porting my first 1911 I knew worst thing that could happen is I buy a new slide and barrel :). I have done 2 now that came out pretty good.

Would have not learned if I didn't start somewhere

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I think sloughfoot makes an excellent point but if you are like me (not enough money or time to wait) finding a smith that fits your budget and time frame can be even a more daunting task then the work that you want done. Get the books read and research, figure out what you can and can't do. You may be surprised at what you can do with a little info from the internet. Ask me how I know. :twocents:

Well, here in Columbus we have an EXCELLENT smith, unfortunately, from what I've been hearing lately, timeframe is a huge issue. Being the only one in the area, he's usually covered up, and often not accepting new work for a month or two at a time from what I've been told...

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Well, here in Columbus we have an EXCELLENT smith, unfortunately, from what I've been hearing lately, timeframe is a huge issue. Being the only one in the area, he's usually covered up, and often not accepting new work for a month or two at a time from what I've been told...

A months wait is not bad, to get the bullseye work I want done it could be 6 months to a year.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    A months wait is not bad, to get the bullseye work I want done it could be 6 months to a year.

Lol, it could be a month or two before he's even accepting work, that doesn't include time to do the work at all....

When I get my project back I'll have to call him and see if he's taking work at the time, hopefully around midwinter, maybe he won't be so busy then...

Top Bottom