• ...and so much more!
  • Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Hey guys and gals.

Im new to owning a 1911 but have shot them before.

I just picked up an American Classic II, and have been having small issues here and there.

Everything is fixed now except for the trigger.

It seems to have a pivot point in the center...like a teeter-totter.

If I pull the trigger at the bottom...it wont fire...but will fire at the top.

Also the closer I pull to the top of the trigger, the easier the trigger pull seems to get.

Anyone?

Please and thank you
    God bless
    -Shred

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Thats interesting. I have not seen that before. Maybe a burr on the trigger itself? pull everything a part and see if the trigger moves freely would be the first thing I would do than work backwards form there
    But how the top and bottom of the trigger would matter I am not sure.

I still suspect it it somehow the trigger though

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    I agree with Allen, pull it apart and see. 1911's come apart easy enough that getting a good look at what is going on won't be hard. My first guess is either the slot the trigger rides in on either side of the frame is rough or the trigger itself is a bit undersized. May be a burr too, so now's an excellent time to stone things a bit and make sure they are smooth.

My American Classic Commander is the most accurate out of the box 1911 I've ever owned.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Remove the trigger and look at the joint where the bow is staked to the pad. If you can wiggle it then you should install a new trigger. Sometimes they don't get staked properly at the factory. And look for burrs on the trigger pad and in the slot it rides in the frame.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Took it all apart and yes...the trigger is undersized with quite a bit of play...Gonna get me a caspian TRIK trigger or maybe a blank and replace it.

We'll see if that helps.

I appreciate all the input guys and gals...thanks.

God bless
    -Shred

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    Hey guys and gals.

Im new to owning a 1911 but have shot them before.

I just picked up an American Classic II, and have been having small issues here and there.

Everything is fixed now except for the trigger.

It seems to have a pivot point in the center...like a teeter-totter.

If I pull the trigger at the bottom...it wont fire...but will fire at the top.

Also the closer I pull to the top of the trigger, the easier the trigger pull seems to get.

Anyone?

Please and thank you
    God bless
    -Shred

When you say that the gun won't fire when you pull the trigger at the bottom it makes me think that the trigger shoe is hitting the grip safety. Might want to check the clearance there.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    After getting it all back together, The gun will fire every time but still has the uneven trigger pull.

I polished the top, bottom, and sides of the trigger and polished the bow.

Trigger still "teeters" a bit...Im with you guys thinking its just a sloppy fitting trigger...gonna order one of those "custom fitting required" triggers and tighten it up.

Right now it has ALOT of play in it.

God bless
    -Shred

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Also check the bottom angled surfaces on the disconnector. Look for burrs or signs of uneven wear. It also sounds to me like maybe the rear of the trigger bow is rubbing against the bottom of the grip safety's arm. 1911s have a lot of little parts that have to be clearanced just right and every gun is different. Did you find any play between the trigger's pad and bow? Try assembling the gun without the grip safety and see if the trigger's weird pull changes any. Let us know what you find.

Top Bottom