• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • simpks01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Avoca, Indiana
    Im looking to buy my first 1911. I am starting to get into competition shooting and wanted to have suggestions on the best I guess beginners 1911? If that makes any sense? I want something I can build upon later but to start out stock so that my fundamentals and overall skills can approve. I am leaning heavily towards 9mm but I am honestly just knew to 1911's. Have never owned one. Any advice will help. :)

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    If you're not dead set on a 9mm I would recommend a Springfield Range Officer. It's got a lot going for it and if you're wanting to shoot competitions it's a great gun to run with. It's a 45 of course, there are a lot of cheaper options but I recommend any of the Springfield 1911's, and they do make some of them in 9mm. Of course you can't go wrong with a Colt or Kimber, the new Ruger SR1911 looks nice, there's a lot to choose from!

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Well first things first... Have you fired a 1911 and found that you like them?
    The best beginners 1911 would probably be a RIA. They come with a lifetime warrenty, and not to heavy of a price tag at 380 on Buds, and around 400 easily. For entry level and competitive shooting, I too would jump for a Springfield Armory. They run around 6-700 and are signifigantly lower than than the 1k or more price tag of a Kimber. SA also offers 9mm 1911s, and those are very upgradable. I am unsure of the upgrade-ability of the RIA, as I grabbed got a springfield mil-spec, but I have no issues with my SA.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Springfield Armory or RIA our my suggestions ,have heard good things about customer service from both (personal good things w/ S/A) & wont break the bank with an entry offering

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    Well first things first... Have you fired a 1911 and found that you like them?

+1

Before you buy one, I'd make sure you like them. I love all my 1911's but some folks don't. They are fairly large and if you don't have long enough fingers, it might be hard to reach all the controls. Also, being 100 years old, they are not as simple to maintain as many modern handguns. I am not trying talk you out of one but you may be expecting one thing, get another and be disappointed.

Good luck with finding what you like.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    IF planning to use your first 1911 in competition shooting I'd plan on stepping up a few notches above the RIA.
    I've got a RIA GI in my 1911 collection I use for a work truck gun. It's cheap enough I don't worry about wear and tear on it.
    It shoots straight, fairly accurate, but not even close for competition.
    I would recommend a better gun than a $400 RIA to start with.
    I shoot the older Kimbers. It's not like I'm on a Kimber crusade but everyone I own is deadly accurate, 100% dependable, and built a lot better than the RIA.

Top Bottom