• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Looking to start competition shooting, local at first as our club has a bowling pin and steel challenge shoot each once a month.

Would appreciate some input on a good holster for my 1911 for this purpose.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    In Steel Challenge do you start from the draw? If I recall last year when I was watching a match, you started with the pistol in your hand pointed at a certain spot.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    In Steel Challenge do you start from the draw? If I recall last year when I was watching a match, you started with the pistol in your hand pointed at a certain spot.

Steel Challenge with centerfire pistols is from the holster. ACC's matches have a low ready start for rimfire pistols, and they have a division of centerfire that starts from low ready as way for people to shoot without investing in extra gear.

Bladetech OWB belt holster. It's legal for USPSA single stack division, IDPA, Steel Challenge and so on.

Comp-tac makes a nice OWB as well. You'd be served well by either.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Rob, thanks for the clarification. The match I did watch last year at Wildcat was a rimfire match.

FWIW to the OP, I just had Hooch Holsters make me three holsters. Two for IDPA/Steel Challenge use and one for my rimfire just to have a place to "park" it when I am at the range.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Rob377 Thanks for the info

I looked up the bladetech OWB holster and they also show a IWB conversion.

As I am very new at this could I bother you to tell me the difference?

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    IWB is gonna be an inside the waistband carry type holster, OWB is gonna be an outside the waistband standard belt slide holster. Any solid OWB holster that holds your gun secure should do fine, don't bother with racy holsters that don't cover the gun, they won't make much of a difference and you will be better served by a quality general use holster that can be used for various games and divisions

Top Bottom