• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunfan72

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    OK so this is most likely a newbie question. I did search on the site and couldnt find what i was looking for. ( prob entered wrong search terms anyway:() Here is my question i have a 1911 with the rounded mainspring housing. How difficult is it to drop in a straight one. Is this something i could do on my own. I have detailed blow out pics of the 1911. I just dont wanna start removing it and have springs shoot across the room. I was looking at dropping in the Wilson straight w/ lanyard loop. Id rather do it myself than rely on someone else. I feel like the more i can learn to do the better off I'll be. Thanks for helping this newbie to 1911 world.:popcorn:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    where are you located, i would be more than happy to show you how its done, you can use my tools and practice all you want until you have it down.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Does the new mainspring housing have a mainspring already installed? A lot of them come that way, makes the switch easier to make.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Easy to do, even easier with a high powered magnet to pull out the spring cup retaining pin, but there is a definite chance of shooting parts across the room if you aren't careful relieving the spring pressure. Also easy to scratch your frame around the MSH lower pin if you don't use a proper tool to push out that pin. To my mind, the most important step is to tie down the grip safety with rubber bands or string before you start, unless you really enjoy fiddling with the sear/sear spring engagement when you try to put the new one in.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I'll be in Walton on Saturday sometime around noon if nothing changes. I would be happy give you the quick and dirty on it while I"m there.. It shouldn't take more that a few minutes. Email me if you want to get together.

Last edited by a moderator:

dboz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Greenwood
    Wasn't there something special that had to be taken into account if the MSH was on a Springfield 1911? I think that I read that somewhere but right now I am too lazy to do the research.

cascadewalker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Wasn't there something special that had to be taken into account if the MSH was on a Springfield 1911? I think that I read that somewhere but right now I am too lazy to do the research.
    There's something called the ILS (integral locking system) that will lock the mainspring cap in place, hammer down, preventing the hammer from being cocked on the Springfields, at least some of them. You can see what the takedown procedure is in the pdf manual from the Springfield custom shop link:
    Springfield Armory

I don't think this precludes you from putting in a MSH from someone else, but I don't know for certain.

Top Bottom