• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Is it worth putting one on my 1911 for Bullseye matches? I shoot 230 gr 45 acp factory ammo. Will there be less muzzle flip?

Yes but you have to do a new barrel with the comp to have any positive effect. This is a clark piece and it is my EDC
    Shoots about as flat as a 1911 is going to shoot.

PTWzWwU.jpg

IrEntgk.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    CM what is that star roll mark on the back of the slide??

That is a SA TRP that was released only to sitting Sheriffs. You had to be a sheriff in office to buy one. I have the papers etc to verify it. The star and the roll marks on the right side of the dust cover or unique to this gun.
    Yes I put some hot rod stuff in the gun as I always do but I saved every piece that came out of it. If I ever sell it I will return it to the custom shop fit up that it had when I bought it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Is it worth putting one on my 1911 for Bullseye matches? I shoot 230 gr 45 acp factory ammo. Will there be less muzzle flip?

Assuming you're talking about a recoil compensator. A muzzle brake is a different thing.

Since .45ACP operates at such low pressure, most of the reduction in muzzle flip will be because of the weight of the comp more than redirection of the gases. Comps work properly with rounds such as .38 super. If you want the best results with a comp and .45ACP, you'll want to use light bullets (like a 152gr SWC) so you can load more powder. More powder gives you more gases to flow through the comp. The 152gr bullets may not be accurate in your gun, though, so it would defeat the purpose if you're bullseye shooting.

Given that, why worry over muzzle flip in a bullseye match? Even on rapid fire strings, the time is so generous that waiting for the gun to settle from recoil is a non-issue.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Assuming you're talking about a recoil compensator. A muzzle brake is a different thing.

Since .45ACP operates at such low pressure, most of the reduction in muzzle flip will be because of the weight of the comp more than redirection of the gases. Comps work properly with rounds such as .38 super. If you want the best results with a comp and .45ACP, you'll want to use light bullets (like a 152gr SWC) so you can load more powder. More powder gives you more gases to flow through the comp. The 152gr bullets may not be accurate in your gun, though, so it would defeat the purpose if you're bullseye shooting.

Given that, why worry over muzzle flip in a bullseye match? Even on rapid fire strings, the time is so generous that waiting for the gun to settle from recoil is a non-issue.

As to recoil you are correct.
    If we get to the range I will let you run the 1911 in the pic. You will change your mind as to muzzle flip. Even with target (slow low pressure) it makes a big diff. Yes there is a wee-bit of weight out there and I have factored that in but it does work.
    If you run SD rounds or any higher presser ammo the gun runes level. Very little nose rise.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I also own one that is comped. Yes it's worth it. My 4 inch comped piece has noticibly less flip than my buddies 5" piece, so it's not all about the weight. Shoot one at night, and it's easy to see. :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I also own one that is comped. Yes it's worth it. My 4 inch comped piece has noticibly less flip than my buddies 5" piece, so it's not all about the weight. Shoot one at night, and it's easy to see. :)

And so much fun especially with the right load..........."Light show"

My ported 10mm's are the same way.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    comps work best with high pressure as rhino said. most bullseye guys run some pretty soft loads.
    Are you shooting factory ammo or reloads? If factory, I would invest in a press first. might get as much or more recoil reduction from a different load as from a comp... (not to mention the cost savings and improved consistency).

ETA:
    A quick google found this on 1911 forum...
    Bullseye shooters commonly use 3.5gr of Bullseye with a 185gr SWC, which gives somewhere around 675 fps velocity.
    That's 125PF :laugh:. (softer than most factory 9mm).

And I would think the extra concussion from a comp would be a distraction in bullseye... including to those on the line beside you...

-rvb

Last edited:
    Top Bottom