• ...and so much more!
  • scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    So I picked up a Springfield RO and so far love it besides 2 things

one is the front sight. It's all black and the rear adjustable is all black. I'd like to change the front out to a fiber optic or something along those lines. New options? Looking for POA-POI. No 6 o'clock hold

also the barrel bushing is SS and the rest of the gun is blued. I'd like to match the barrel bushing. How do I figure out what size I need?

thanks all!

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Remove the bushing.
    Get a set of vernier calipers and measure the ID and the OD of the bushing.
    The area between the flange and the locking stub is very important.

Measure the ID of the slide where the bushing inserts.

Get on Brownells and look up what you need. They make "Drop" ins that might be tighter spec than the factory piece and still fit the gun.

They also make fit required pieces that you will want to avoid unless you have the proper tooling and skill sets to do that level of work.

One of the good things about the RO is the fit of the barrel in the slide/bushing. I would not mess with that unless you intend to improve that fit. To change the bushing just because it is not pleasing to the eye might take away some small amount of accuracy.

Ad to the sights.....My RO now has a fiber optic replacement so my old eyes can see it.

Brownells again is the answer here.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    It is more precise to simply measure the proper inside diameter of the slide, and the outside diameter of the barrel, then have one made by Evolution Gun Works.....! I think their prices are reasonable.....

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    It is more precise to simply measure the proper inside diameter of the slide, and the outside diameter of the barrel, then have one made by Evolution Gun Works.....! I think their prices are reasonable.....

Great advice here. Sometimes they already have the bushing you need made and on their website.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Great advice here. Sometimes they already have the bushing you need made and on their website.

EGW is my go to parts supplier. I use brownells as well but they sell EGW parts.
    I fit up my own as well but I have the proper tools to do this.

As to the sites, I have used several different ones. No real favorite found yet but I do like the fiber optic offerings for my tired old eyes.....:)

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    drop in 's dont cut it on a 1911. Also remember to get the tapered bushing,to give the clearance when the bbl tipos up in the slide

rala

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Evansville
    Dawson Precion for fiber optic sights. Give them a call. They can recommend the correct front sight height. Or send them the slide and distance you want it set to and they will install and test.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

I've ordered a bunch of EGW parts and have never been disappointed. I ordered a custom bushing to clean up the sloppy fit on my Colt Delta Elite and it came within two weeks and cost something like $23. They are top notch suppliers of 1911 gear.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    +1 on EGW quality. Old George is a fine machinist. He also talks to a lot of pistolsmiths and finds out what they want and need and makes it.

Top Bottom