• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jurassicnarc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    At age 67, I find myself to be a 'blue steel & walnut' kind of guy,...and I used to have ten or so 1911's, mostly carefully worked over by various good gunsmiths. Some years ago I acquired a Wilson Professional which had a black 'coating', not the rich bluing I really like. The damned thing was so well balanced, shot such tight groups, doesn't ever malfunction, and had such a perfect trigger that I had to leave it alone. I even wrapped up my other 1911's and gave them to friends and grandsons, because they were just gathering dust. The only other 1911 I kept was a DEA commemorative Gold Cup National Match with gold and engraving that has never even had the slide pulled back. Friend, when you want a good 1911, go see Mr. Wilson!

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Years ago S&W was trying to design a gun and they did alot of studies to determine the perfect grip angle, when all was said and done the ideal grip angle was....the same as the 1911.....John Browning did it over 100 years ago without computers, or commitees!!! Need I say more?

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Just wondering what the big deal about a 1911 is? Not because I think they aren't any good, just plain old newbie ignorance. Just trying to learn as much about as much as I can here....
    I think the hoopla is because when you look at it, I think you would be hard pressed to find ANY gun that has lasted, in front line service, for so long. There are special units, within our military, that still field that gun, and we are talking about a pre-WW1 weapon here. Thats quite an accomplishment. It has been "played" with, with mostly success, by so many over such a long time that it is still a formidable platform. Even the venerable AK-47 can't boast that. It is a gun that is thin and easy to pack, and nobody can question the effectiveness of the caliber. As far as guns are concerned, and my humble opinion as well, Browning got that one way beyond "right", he may have created almost perfection.:twocents:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    All I can tell you is that I currently own four handguns. I like them all for various reasons. If I ever have to walk out the door into a SHTF situation it will be with my Colt series 70 in my right hand.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Ask an honest question, and there's no worry of being flamed. My EDC is a compact 1911 type but with a doublestack for 12+1. Of everything else I own, that's the one I want with me. Grip isn't any wider, just squarer, but I have big hands. Once in a while, somebody just does something "right". So right that there's just no improvement.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Just wondering what the big deal about a 1911 is? Not because I think they aren't any good, just plain old newbie ignorance. Just trying to learn as much about as much as I can here....

Go to forum1911.com

Shoot one, you'll find out. It's hard to find a gun that is as much a pleasure to shoot as the 1911. The short, single action trigger pull, the full size (single stack) grip in your hand, and the balance/weight of the gun all just feel perfect to me.

Not to mention they look friggin' sweet. :rockwoot:

It's a drug the gun companies love to sell you...and I'm an addict thats willing to buy

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    I named my Ultra Raptor II Camilla, never bothered to formally name any of my other guns... The non-1911 guns just give off a more utilitarian vibe...

^^^This^^^

Can you imagine Helga or Ingrid scratched on the slide of a Glock?

sally.jpg

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011

I too, wondered at one time what the big deal was about the 1911, so I bought one. I now have half a dozen or so and I'm sure I'm not done. It's the only gun that I own more than one of.

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    " The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now." -Colonel Robert J. Coates, USMC The .45 ACP also just happens to be my favorite round to reload so's it not to pricey to shoot. :D

AverageMidwest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fishers
    1911s are like the '57 Chevy - okay as original, but crying out to be personalized for different tastes and shooters, which is why Colt alone has 10 different lines (Anniversary, Series 70, 1991 Series, XSE Series, etc etc) and a bunch of different variations (finish, barrel length, sights, whatever) within each line. All of them a pleasure to shoot with the possible exception of the micro models with a three inch barrel, but that's part of the process of learning what you like. The original design with five inch barrel is about as close to perfection as you're going to get, ergonomically speaking - just seems to fit your hand naturally, point naturally, and the trigger feel IS perfection.

PS - I may start a flame war with reactions to this, but the original GI 1911 did need one thing - bigger sights - those little sights were designed for 18 year old eyes.

Top Bottom