• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So I understand a lot of hand fitting goes into fit etc. So I would like to go beyond a quick cleaning. Just wanting to confirm that a basic disassembly and cleaning would not cause issues?

thanks

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    Basic field strip and clean causes no issues, I have several tight match pistols that I have owned and shot since the 1980s and have never had issues when doing routine cleaning.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    The biggest thing that I see hang people up is the 3 finger sear spring going back in wrong.
    If the left spring gets put in under the sear I won't function. Not a big deal but easy to do. That is if you go as far as to remove the mainspring housing.

Also keep in mind that if only one end of the recoil spring is closed, the closed end goes against the base of the guide rod.
    2 small things but things I see happen a bit.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Supporting what Allen said with pictures.

#1 in the picture below is portion of the sear spring he is referring to.

*not my pictures*

1674994302644.png

1674994387268.png

Recoil spring. Open end goes into spring plug (front of gun). Closed end is slightly smaller and fits tighter on guide rod to retain the spring during reassembly.

If both ends are closed, check to see if one end fits tighter on the guide rod than the other. This applies to more guns than just the 1911.

1674994630453.png

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Thank you for the education with pictures T-Dogg! It’s always great to see a “refresher” on 1911 maintainance. You too, Allen M.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I have seen it done but all my 1911's have action jobs and I am terrified of messing them up. So just field strip and a spray down of the sear for me right now.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I have only basic field stripped 1911s. Take your time, don't force fit anything, watch it done a few times and learn from experience. Honestly never removed internals, and cleaned and and lubed rails, barrel, and 1 drop of oil on said springs. Wiped off excess, worked action couple times(empty no magazine), and case or reload and holster.
    Not 1 issue with weapon. Magazines are another world, and you need to proof them for carrying.
    Wilson 47D has been best, also Kimber Tac Mags don't disappoint me.
    Picked up some cheapie 7rd Govt Surplus in brown wrappers, they feed fine. The others hold 8 rds, but again, no issues.
    Have 1 Colt factory mag(with pony insignia), works about 50% of the time. That is reason to proof fire your mags and ammo!
    My 1911A1 is a Rock Island. Have owned Colts, Springfield Arms, Auto Ordanace, Kimbers, Metro Arms(like RIA), but is basic, no extra whistle or bells Good luck.

Last edited:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    The good thing about tearing it down regularly is you can inspect parts for uneven wear or fitting problems before they do any real damage. Lube. Shoot. Repeat.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Take apart, clean and put back together the way it was, perform function check and no problems. I periodically do a detail cleaning with my carry 1911 because they accumulate dust from clothing while being carried. The only thing I do not remove is the slide lock
    plunger tube. The biggest harm to be done is an idiot scratch and yes, I've done it when
    being new to the 1911. One of these days I may feel brave enough to fit a beaver tail on one of mine.

stirpped1911.jpg

Top Bottom