• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Taeverling

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2021
    Swayzee indiana
    Hello all, I'm having trouble getting the grip safely to work on a 1911. I've adjusted springs, and tried to adjust everything I can but still nothing. Is it possible the working surfaces are just worn down to much that it can't engage? Spring tension can't be the primary problem I believe.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Can you describe how it's not working for you?

If the grip safety is moving in and out of the grip fully, I don't think springs have anything to do with it.

The functionality of the 1911 grip safety is all about the nose of the grip safety (inside the frame) and it blocking movement of the trigger bow.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    No matter the position of the safety the hammer will drop, which is why I think its not getting enough contact... I can't see how to give it more?

Does it look like the nose of the grip safety has been worn or ground down?
    Does the trigger bow appear worn or bent?
    When released, is the nose of the grip safety actually dropping down behind the rear of the trigger bow?

Taeverling

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2021
    Swayzee indiana
    Does it look like the nose of the grip safety has been worn or ground down?
    Does the trigger bow appear worn or bent?
    When released, is the nose of the grip safety actually dropping down behind the rear of the trigger bow?
    It appears to be worn on the grip safety.trigger doesn't appear to be bent. And I checked if it was dropping down behind and it was.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I’m not trying to be a smart a$$, but if it’s a known issue, I’d just live with it on that gun. I’m assuming you aren’t carrying a 1918 Colt for defensive use, and many folk over the past century plus have done all kinds of things to deactivate the grip safety. You can find original pre -A1 grip safeties on eBay and such. You might get one of them that matches the finish decently and swap them out to try. Or, since it’s an internal surface, you could have the grip safety built up with welded material and refit it, but for what I am assuming is an occasional shooter and def a collectors item, I’d probably just leave it alone.

Last edited:

Taeverling

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2021
    Swayzee indiana
    I’m not trying to be a small a$$, but if it’s a known issue, I’d just live with it on that gun. I’m assuming you aren’t carrying a 1918 Colt for defensive use, and many fold over the past century plus have done all kinds of things to deactivate the grip safety. You can find original pre -A1 grip safeties on eBay and such. You might get one of them that matches the finish decently and swap them out to try. Or, since it’s an internal surface, you could have the grip safety built up with welded material and refit it, but for what I am assuming is an occasional shooter and def a collectors item, I’d probably just leave it alone.
    Your all good. I thought about welding it up but ended up just tweaking the trigger and grip safety surface again and the problem was fixed. It's unfortunately just a shooter as the finish has been redone because someone had nickeled itand i reblued it. I really don't know how much it would be worth even lol

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    You can slightly peen over the edge of the nose just enough make contact and block the trigger. Better to replace it but. it can get you by in a pinch.

Top Bottom