2 Japanese reactors blow up!: Should US be concerned?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Raoc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Given that we've detonated a few hundred high-yield nuclear weapons in the atmosphere over the Pacific Ocean with no ill effects to the mainland US, I would say there is basically zero threat to the US from even the worst-case scenario at that plant. Given that the core is contained, even the worst case here doesn't even begin to approach the magnitude of Chernobyl, let alone atmospheric nukes.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Given that we've detonated a few hundred high-yield nuclear weapons in the atmosphere over the Pacific Ocean with no ill effects to the mainland US, I would say there is basically zero threat to the US from even the worst-case scenario at that plant. Given that the core is contained, even the worst case here doesn't even begin to approach the magnitude of Chernobyl, let alone atmospheric nukes.

2 totally different events your talking about here.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    We detonated 105 nukes (of various yields) over a period of about 20 years. And there was fallout associated with these blasts, but since no-one was measuring the fallout beyond the most heavily affected zones, we'll never know who was harmed by these blasts, (beyond the islanders who were directly affected). Even then, this is a totally different animal. It will likely have little effect on us, but will, (worse case scenario) have a great effect on the Japanese.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Ok, my BIL has been in the nuke business for 20 years, writes safety procedures, and runs a business (nukeworker.com).
    In a nutshell, we have nothing to fear from the incidents at reactor 1 & 3. almost all the radiation released during the steam venting has a very short half-life (seconds to minutes) this is most likely why they were venting inside the building, to allow the radioactive particles to decay. When the hydrogen went boom this stuff was released, but dissipates and decays quickly. The long term stuff (Iodine, Strontium 90, etc) is only present in small quantities and presents no risk to the US.
    Reactor 2 might have had the containment breached. This will make it harder to cool the reactor but again, presents no risk to the US.
    Remember, when the quake hit the reactors automatically shut down, they are not producing more heat, removing the residual heat is the problem.
    Last I read reactor 1 was stable at less than 212 degrees so it shouldn't be much of a problem. reactor 3 will also not be a problem once it is cooled.
    The biggest problem is that because they are using seawater there is a good chance that these reactorw will have to be totally rebuilt.
    Chernobyl threw tons of radioactive ash, soot and smoke into the air because of the fire, these reactors will not explode like that, nor will they burn. Chernobyl had no containment vessel! We need to call BS everytime someone mentions it during this crises!
    /rant

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    yeah, its called the source of dont listen to corporate and govt bull**** sources.
    Can you expound upon your statement that people will be screwed then? Because it appears that many people in the field disagree with you. And you haven't provided any sources to the contrary.

I don't mean to be demeaning but you can't come here and say somebody is wrong, and then not provide any facts, evidence, support, or sources.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Can you expound upon your statement that people will be screwed then? Because it appears that many people in the field disagree with you. And you haven't provided any sources to the contrary.

I don't mean to be demeaning but you can't come here and say somebody is wrong, and then not provide any facts, evidence, support, or sources.

well how about the fact that 2 US ships have moved out of the area, before they admitted to anything. I dont rely or listen to much state controlled news (cbs, nbc, etc)

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    well how about the fact that 2 US ships have moved out of the area, before they admitted to anything. I dont rely or listen to much state controlled news (cbs, nbc, etc)
    Ok ranger, think back to basic training. What is the first move for a unit that has suffered a NBC attack? Move out of the contaminated area.
    Don't you think that it is prudence to move from downwind of these things? I would. Heck, If I was in Japan I would move as far upwind as possible.
    Are they going to be an issue for us here? As things stand now, no. I'm not saying something couldn't happen to make them an issue, but as of right now they aren't. Actually the last news I heard was this morning, so as of then they aren't a problem.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    But.. but.. but.. Bill B we need to panic after all this **IS** the Survival & Prep channel. Besides if we don't panic then those with KI stockpile of pills can't charge 10X right now for them. We don't need no stinky facts! Just be like the liberals and say anything. =)

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Ok, my BIL has been in the nuke business for 20 years, writes safety procedures, and runs a business (nukeworker.com).
    In a nutshell, we have nothing to fear from the incidents at reactor 1 & 3. almost all the radiation released during the steam venting has a very short half-life (seconds to minutes) this is most likely why they were venting inside the building, to allow the radioactive particles to decay. When the hydrogen went boom this stuff was released, but dissipates and decays quickly. The long term stuff (Iodine, Strontium 90, etc) is only present in small quantities and presents no risk to the US.
    Reactor 2 might have had the containment breached. This will make it harder to cool the reactor but again, presents no risk to the US.
    Remember, when the quake hit the reactors automatically shut down, they are not producing more heat, removing the residual heat is the problem.
    Last I read reactor 1 was stable at less than 212 degrees so it shouldn't be much of a problem. reactor 3 will also not be a problem once it is cooled.
    The biggest problem is that because they are using seawater there is a good chance that these reactorw will have to be totally rebuilt.
    Chernobyl threw tons of radioactive ash, soot and smoke into the air because of the fire, these reactors will not explode like that, nor will they burn. Chernobyl had no containment vessel! We need to call BS everytime someone mentions it during this crises!
    /rant

Bill-

Thanks for the good post. I've been seeking some decent "tell it like it is tech talk" on the subject, and seems like most of what I've found on the web and various media outlets starts with an expert (nuclear engineer, MIT proffessor, etc.) and then quickly degrades to a career journalist with less qualifications to discuss nuclear reactors than my 3 year old daughter, but hell bent on spreading fear about the lack of a clear plan to contain the radiation, the worst case scenario, how it will affect the reproductive organs of marine life, etc..

If you have any good links to decent tech data I'd be interested.

:yesway:

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    But.. but.. but.. Bill B we need to panic after all this **IS** the Survival & Prep channel. Besides if we don't panic then those with KI stockpile of pills can't charge 10X right now for them. We don't need no stinky facts! Just be like the liberals and say anything. =)
    :dunno:
    Sorry, wasn't thinking about the gouge:runaway:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    oh, well all of you can sleep well tonight because our fearless leader says that they expect no harmful radiation to reach the united states. so some radiation WILL reach the U.S. as I expected before. and this is just at this time. I still think this is gonna reach the U.S. and do some damage. I think obama is lying to the whole country. oh now he's trying to tug at peoples heart strings for some votes, I gotta change the channel/

The japanese have no clue what they are doing and they are turning down help from other countries. time for someone to make the japs take their heads out of their posteriors and handle it instead of hiding it like they try to do with every other thing for the last thousand years

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Personally, I'm more worried about the radiation my wife will be receiving from the body scanner when she flies home from Seattle on Saturday then she will from airborne radiation from Japan.

Top Bottom