• ...and so much more!
  • Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    Ammunition Question
    I am finally got the gun I am going to EDC and I've been researching PD ammunition and I've got it down to 3 choices. I was curious what you all might be able to tell me, pro and con of the three.
    1. Cor-Bon DPX 9mm Luger +p 115gr
    2. Hornady Crit Def 9mm Luger 115gr
    3. Speer Gold Dot 9mm Luger 147gr

Reloading Question
    I have a Remington 7mm Mag and as I'm sure anyone with one knows it's a blast to shoot, it blasts your wallet and it's fun. I kept all of my casings from my outing, not many, 40 to be precise and I'm not wanting to get into reloading myself. Anyone know if there is anybody about in the central IN area that might take a small reloading job or will I need to save up more brass?

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Contact Andrew at Profire Arms, he will reload anything for you. He goes by Aszerigan here on the forum.

As far as your carry ammo, I'd go with a 147gn. 9mm is small by default so why not give yourself the edge and pack as much stopping power as you can? I carry a 147gn Remington Golden Saber in my Sig and I love it. Soft recoil, shoots like a dream, and its 147gn!!!

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    Contact Andrew at Profire Arms, he will reload anything for you. He goes by Aszerigan here on the forum.

As far as your carry ammo, I'd go with a 147gn. 9mm is small by default so why not give yourself the edge and pack as much stopping power as you can? I carry a 147gn Remington Golden Saber in my Sig and I love it. Soft recoil, shoots like a dream, and its 147gn!!!

Thanks for the suggestions, if I can swing it I'm gonna go to the swap meet on the 5th, but that will require pre-approval from the wife, so we'll see how it works out.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Will see you there..

Thanks for the suggestions, if I can swing it I'm gonna go to the swap meet on the 5th, but that will require pre-approval from the wife, so we'll see how it works out.

Be sure to look me up at the Swap Meet.

Bring the "Better Half"= There will be something for everyone..Bill.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    ANY of the above carry ammo will suffice. It is all high-quality stuff.

You'll have to decide which shoots better in YOUR gun, though. Your gun, for instance, might not like the CorBon stuff. (Meaning feeding or extracting issues or poor groups)

Many folks will use a higher-grain bullet in the fall / winter when people are wearing more clothing.

Also, there's a difference between point of aim (POA) and point of impact (POI) when switching bullet grain. Heavier bullets tend to impact above POA (Due to the microsecond longer that the bullet is in the barrel = microsecond longer that the recoil can act on the firearm to raise the bore ever so slightly).

If you can...buy a box of all three and shoot all three.

Then you can determine which you want to invest in as a defensive ammo.

-J-

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    FWIW - The 9mm round was designed around the 124 grain bullet and that is what NATO forces shoot. It's (obviously) a compromise of velocity, recoil and penetration. Many 9mm's are sighted in for that bullet weight and I've never found a reason to shoot anything else from it.

If you're interested in learning to reload, I could show you the basics. If you want someone else to load custom ammo for your 270, Andrew is the only one I know of in the area and I'm sure he'd do a good job of it.

Top Bottom