• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Depending on what your grand kids will be shooting? We have 150 high school kids shooting this year, many start out with a 20 gauge, and all move up to a 12 gauge -Club gets shells cheaper for the 12 gauge .a good 12 gauge youth model that is adjustable and start them of with 950 FPS shell is what I recommend if they are going to shootin the youth shooting sports program.
    Yep. Gun fit an use a load tailored for whatever the gun is being used for and the shooter. A little heavier gun also helps mitigate recoil.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I’ll probably be the odd man out here.

When I got into skeet shooting, then sporting clays, then hunting…. I was generally shooting a Citori in 12g. I’ve had several, and a few Red Labels.

When I started working a dog, I got tired of the weight of a Citori. On opening weekend, Citori on Friday, SKB 20g on Saturday, and probably an 870 .410 by Sunday.
    Working the dog, I’m not taking many shots. I’m setting others up to take the shot.

I love Citoris, but they are heavy, and not made for walking more than one day, For an old guy.
    Carrying a gun a few hours on Saturday is different than carrying a gun all day all weekend.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    This my sound a little strange. Most of my buddies learned how to hunt, before they ever learned to shoot.

I never hunted as a kid. I started shooting for the sport, then moved to hunting. Hunting was pretty easy, I thought. A pheasant does the same thing almost every time, and is 5 times the size of a clay bird
    Dove hunting is another story.

Gauge doesn’t matter that much as long as you are on target. A hit with a .410 will be dusted with a 12. A “hit” with a 12 might be a miss with a smaller gauge.

Shoot what you like, and have fun. Teach the little ones how to hit, then go to smaller gauges and still hit.
    Just my thoughts. :dunno:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    This my sound a little strange. Most of my buddies learned how to hunt, before they ever learned to shoot.

I never hunted as a kid. I started shooting for the sport, then moved to hunting. Hunting was pretty easy, I thought. A pheasant does the same thing almost every time, and is 5 times the size of a clay bird
    Dove hunting is another story.

Gauge doesn’t matter that much as long as you are on target. A hit with a .410 will be dusted with a 12. A “hit” with a 12 might be a miss with a smaller gauge.

Shoot what you like, and have fun. Teach the little ones how to hit, then go to smaller gauges and still hit.
    Just my thoughts. :dunno:
    I tend to agree with this. I went hunting a few times as a kid with my dad and uncle, but those first trips I wasn't carrying a gun. Those first hunts were on public land and when finished we would eat a sandwich at the truck and then head over to the range for shooting lessons.

Clays are great practice for any upland bird or small game. It's often said that missed targets are often missed by feet not inches. Teach a kid to hit clays and they will do fine with live species.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    That is probably true, but like you said, it has always been this way. I used to go with dad as the unarmed rabbit dog. I can remember the excitement when i was allowed to carry a new BB gun. Then my 20 g 870. I probably had it a few years before I got the chance to shoot at any clay pigeons. An uncle in KY had a thrower. That was great fun.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Carrying a gun a few hours on Saturday is different than carrying a gun all day all weekend.
    I have always hunted upland game and birds in the Midwest. I never though my 12ga Browning BPS upland special was a 'heavy' gun. Never really noticed the weight of it at all.

This year I went as far south and west as you go in Kansas for opening weekend of pheasant season. We walked over 12 miles on Saturday and about 10 on Sunday.

I am now looking for the lightest 20ga O/U that I can reasonably afford. :D

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have always hunted upland game and birds in the Midwest. I never though my 12ga Browning BPS upland special was a 'heavy' gun. Never really noticed the weight of it at all.

This year I went as far south and west as you go in Kansas for opening weekend of pheasant season. We walked over 12 miles on Saturday and about 10 on Sunday.

I am now looking for the lightest 20ga O/U that I can reasonably afford. :D
    I've never particularly thought my BPS was a heavy gun either. I also can't say that I've walked 10-12 miles hunting birds in one day. Most of my hunts are half day hunts because that's about as much as my dad can handle before he's in too much pain. I certainly understand wanting a little lighter gun for an a hunt where you're walking all day. Personally, I would opt for something with a synthetic stock vs going with a sub gauge gun. Just personal preference. I also have a sling with loops that I sometimes use on an O/U or SxS just to free up my hands and make it easier to carry.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I've never particularly thought my BPS was a heavy gun either. I also can't say that I've walked 10-12 miles hunting birds in one day. Most of my hunts are half day hunts because that's about as much as my dad can handle before he's in too much pain. I certainly understand wanting a little lighter gun for an a hunt where you're walking all day. Personally, I would opt for something with a synthetic stock vs going with a sub gauge gun. Just personal preference. I also have a sling with loops that I sometimes use on an O/U or SxS just to free up my hands and make it easier to carry.
    It was quite the experience. And walking that much is totally voluntary. We had blockers at the end of every field we walked. These were generally the older guys in our party. A couple even had bag chairs so they could have a seat while we pushed the field. Not their first rodeo.

The days we hunted, the blockers actually did better than the walkers. Birds were either flushing early or just beating a trail straight to the end of the field.

And while we both know I don't need a light weight sub gauge O/U, let's not tell my wife that.:whistle:

Top Bottom