• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • windingwinds

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Miami County, Indiana
    Just in case anyone else is interest, USDA released harvest reports yesterday, our corn is only 42% harvested so far. (Must be Southern Indiana, cause my neighbors are not showing any inclination to actually do something about their corn)
    Crop Progress
    They'll release another report next Monday.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Same here in Spencer County. A local farmer friend of mine said that since his got out late, he's leaving it out to dry so that he doesn't have to burn gas getting it dry. He also said that most folks down here are getting anywhere from 30-50% less yield than last year.

I've got some corn directly off my backporch that I am strongly encouraging the farmer to get out by the first week in November:D

Most of the beans are out now though.

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    they will leave it in the fields until the moister content gets low and where they want it. It can dry in the field free , other wise they have to pay to dry it

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    On the other side of the coin, if the weather causes the stalks to get down on the ground (I.E. strong winds, heavy snow) it can be much more difficult to get harvested. A lot of corn can be lost by the ears laying in the mud to rot, so either way is a gamble.

windingwinds

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Miami County, Indiana
    Well, I doubt moisture content is now going to get much lower, with rain forecasted fairly often now. I have seen fields already done, during that nice 2 week period when there was no rain, but they are just out of my local area. But that could also work to my benefit if it pushes the deer my way. The one neighbor's field is really drooping, with some ears already on the ground, don't know if it was the wind or the deer. I wondered about losses if we get a good storm with strong winds. The yields of local Miami fields have been average to great, but I know alot of the other parts of the state have suffered. I hope everyone has a good corn harvest because price of livestock feed keeps going up, yikes!

Top Bottom