2022 Training/Practice wrap up and look ahead.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I was closing out my training log for the year after my range session today. It was a fairly quiet year from that standpoint. I shot 13,290 rounds of 9mm at actual range/practice sessions. I shot in about 20 IDPA matches with three of those being majors. At the Michigan State Championship I was able to win Sharpshooter Carry Optics and bump to Expert class. I also competed in my first NRA Action Pistol/Bianchi cup match. It was a lot of fun, and I plan to do it next year. Matches account for about looks another 2,700 rounds of 9mm. There were also a few 2 gun matches at my home club using small amounts of 9mm, .223, 22lr, and 12 gauge. Most rounds by far would be through my Walther Q5 SF followed by Staccato C2, Sig Legion X-carry, and Sig 365XL on the pistol front. BCM AR15 and S&W M&P 15-22 for rifles, and Beretta 1301T for shotgun.

That I recall I only took 2 training classes this year. A trauma medicine class from Spartan tactical and a pistol class from Lee Weems. Both were beneficial. It is nagging me that I feel like I am forgetting something from the class standpoint but it won't come to the surface.

What does 2023 look like? Well hopefully more and better practice. I plan to move to Master class in IDPA. Probably won't shoot more majors. As I mentioned I plan to shoot the Sunset Coast Regional NRA Action pistol match again this year. As far as training classes, two friends and I have a private class lined up for early spring with Bob Vogel. I hope to do a low light class and another good pistol class as well. Near daily dry fire will of course continue. I also plan to take on a little more coaching/tutoring at the local club this coming year. This is just the beginning and I am sure things will change/be added.

Who has anything memorable from the training standpoint from this year? Who has big plans for next year?

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    I hit a low for round count this year at 3200(maybe another 100 or so tomorrow if i go in the rain). I didn't have much motivation this year and took the year to just enjoy myself rather than getting wrapped up in performance and counting tenths. The last few years I noticed that I often left the range in poor moods and not having had a good time due to chasing performance and numbers constantly critiquing myself, expecting more or higher levels of shooting than I did - even when my shooting was at a good level. So with that in mind I chose to take a year and just shoot whatever I enjoyed with no real goals in mind.

It coincided with some lifestyle stuff that (lower hobby funding, extra jobs so little time, kid starting school, prioritizing freetime to family, just general not wanting to do it) lead to me nearly eliminating dry practice in the last half of the year. Despite that I was still able to maintain a fair level of skill and I rarely left the range downtrodden or racking my brain for the next few hours/day overanalyzing.

As far as guns shot it was a year of glock clones mostly (p80 build, shadow systems dr920, nomad 9) and finally just settling on the plain old glock 19. An m2.0 compact and 92dxr were sprinkled in as well as some revolver stuff.

No plan for next year yet as some job related stuff is currently up in the air and will determine to what extent I shoot. I would like to get back into uspsa on a monthly basis again and gear a fair amount of my practice toward that but it is most likely that I just keep working with the carry gear. If that is the case then i'll likely try to continue my academic merry go round of firearms and try a px4 rdo from ltt or a p30 rdo from ltt. I enjoy hammer guns and it's been a long time since I ran a p30 and am intrigued to try one with LTT work and a dot and I have yet to try a px4.

All that to say next year will likely be a big nothing - no plans at all other than reviving my dry practice regimen to 5x a week.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I hit a low for round count this year at 3200(maybe another 100 or so tomorrow if i go in the rain). I didn't have much motivation this year and took the year to just enjoy myself rather than getting wrapped up in performance and counting tenths. The last few years I noticed that I often left the range in poor moods and not having had a good time due to chasing performance and numbers constantly critiquing myself, expecting more or higher levels of shooting than I did - even when my shooting was at a good level. So with that in mind I chose to take a year and just shoot whatever I enjoyed with no real goals in mind.

It coincided with some lifestyle stuff that (lower hobby funding, extra jobs so little time, kid starting school, prioritizing freetime to family, just general not wanting to do it) lead to me nearly eliminating dry practice in the last half of the year. Despite that I was still able to maintain a fair level of skill and I rarely left the range downtrodden or racking my brain for the next few hours/day overanalyzing.

As far as guns shot it was a year of glock clones mostly (p80 build, shadow systems dr920, nomad 9) and finally just settling on the plain old glock 19. An m2.0 compact and 92dxr were sprinkled in as well as some revolver stuff.

No plan for next year yet as some job related stuff is currently up in the air and will determine to what extent I shoot. I would like to get back into uspsa on a monthly basis again and gear a fair amount of my practice toward that but it is most likely that I just keep working with the carry gear. If that is the case then i'll likely try to continue my academic merry go round of firearms and try a px4 rdo from ltt or a p30 rdo from ltt. I enjoy hammer guns and it's been a long time since I ran a p30 and am intrigued to try one with LTT work and a dot and I have yet to try a px4.

All that to say next year will likely be a big nothing - no plans at all other than reviving my dry practice regimen to 5x a week.
    I hear ya. I still enjoy this a ton, but definitely get discouraged sometimes. I can not lay off for very long and maintain skill, just no talent I guess. As I get older (54) and with the constant use of my hands at my day job, things are starting to hurt. I can't do as much dry fire as I would like, and when I do high round count sessions, I feel it.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    I hear ya. I still enjoy this a ton, but definitely get discouraged sometimes. I can not lay off for very long and maintain skill, just no talent I guess. As I get older (54) and with the constant use of my hands at my day job, things are starting to hurt. I can't do as much dry fire as I would like, and when I do high round count sessions, I feel it.
    I seem to get bored/ burnt out a little earlier each year. Despite knowing i would be consistently better sticking with a setup for a longer period, playing musical chairs with various guns at least keeps me interested. I enjoy seeing what affect different attributes (size, trigger, modification) have on performance and thus giving in to temptation is an easier sell.

I take 3 months off in the winter months and do only dry practice for the most part and by the time spring comes I'm thirsty! But i just don't have much in the way of goals for the coming year. I feel like I've said i was in maintenance mode for the last several years and I'm finally coming around to just admitting that i just want to enjoy the range and accept whatever performance differential that comes with. Of course that's all fine and dandy until next year at the first beep ;)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I made 33 range sessions this year. Last year I made 35. But I shot fewer rounds this year. I don't have an exact round count but I would guess around 3K.

I struggle mentally because I think I should be able to shoot better. There are times when I'm at the range and I think why do I bother with the sport/hobby. Then I remember that when I get my mind right, I do enjoy shooting so that's why I keep going back.

I'm 63 and I have to accept I'm past the point where I could become really good anyway. I just need to enjoy me where I am at and working and progressing as much as I can. I too can't do much in the way of dry fire due to my hands. I use my hands virtually all day between work, exercising and home chores/projects. In the evening, I need to try and give them some rest.

I didn't take any training classes in 2022 and won't in '23. Money is real tight for me and classes will not fit in the budget. I'm glad I went to quite a few over the years and had the experience. The lessons learned still apply.

I did one, maybe two of the CC matches at Riley. I kept missing the timing. Wonder if they have a mailing list?

2023:

• Probably near the same number of range sessions.
    • More .22 will be shot. Much more. Maybe even the majority of my shooting will be .22
    • I will try a Rimfire Falling Steel match that is held at Wildcat Creek in Brookston, IN(long haul for me!)
    • I will step out of my comfort zone and shoot some Steel Challenge. It's not so much being uncomfortable, I do all kinds of things outside my comfort zone, its the time aspect. I just can't commit an entire weekend day to one thing. I have way to many other things to do at this chapter of my life. I need to find matches that wrap up shortly after noon.
    • And last, but not least, I am NOT going to be negative about my shooting! I may not be like the competition guys who burn through 20K rounds in a year, but I bet I am way above average in shooting ability for gun owners overall. I know that ain't saying a lot, but I'll go with it. :)
    • My brother thinks I should do the IDPA matches in Evansville this year since it's real close to where my daughter lives. I might. Depends on how the winter training progresses.
    I'm not buying any more firearms at this point. I am set. I need ammo, as usual a holster for my TX22C and really nothing else at this point.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I've shot fewer times and fewer rounds in 2022 than in any year since I started shooting. When ammo prices shot up a couple years ago I basically stopped buying ammo and the shooting just dwindled down from there. I just never feel like I have the free cash to buy ammo by the case anymore. Money is tighter. Expenses are higher.

Since I've almost left shooting behind completely, I've spent more time doing martial arts. I started doing Judo at the beginning of 2022 on top Jiu Jitsu. I wanted to focus on standing clinch work in a new way, and Judo is all about standing clinching. I've also wanted to learn the fundamentals of throwing and standing foot sweeps.

Taking new (and poor) Judo skills to Jiu Jitsu has been fun and interesting. The time I've spent on Judo has taken focus away from the ground work at Jiu Jitsu and the wrestling based stand up skills I had been working before. So sometimes it feels more like I'm going backwards than forward. The more I work it the more I'm able to apply it. The ultimate goal is to be able to mix it all together somewhat seamlessly.

Since starting Judo I've also developed some pretty intense elbow tendinitis from all the judo gripping on top of the other grappling. That has affected my shooting grip and is a bit discouraging.

In 2023 I plan to incorporate more strength and mobility work to support my commitment to grappling. As I get older its harder to do it without minor injuries and that probably means a more significant injury is more likely as well. Staying healthy so I can continue to enjoy it is my primary goal.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    A friend from Jiu Jitsu also plans to host Cecil Burch for an entangled pistol class in September. I will attend that. If you're there, watch out for my new Ashi Waza skills. ;-)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I've shot fewer times and fewer rounds in 2022 than in any year since I started shooting. When ammo prices shot up a couple years ago I basically stopped buying ammo and the shooting just dwindled down from there. I just never feel like I have the free cash to buy ammo by the case anymore. Money is tighter. Expenses are higher.

Since I've almost left shooting behind completely, I've spent more time doing martial arts. I started doing Judo at the beginning of 2022 on top Jiu Jitsu. I wanted to focus on standing clinch work in a new way, and Judo is all about standing clinching. I've also wanted to learn the fundamentals of throwing and standing foot sweeps.

Taking new (and poor) Judo skills to Jiu Jitsu has been fun and interesting. The time I've spent on Judo has taken focus away from the ground work at Jiu Jitsu and the wrestling based stand up skills I had been working before. So sometimes it feels more like I'm going backwards than forward. The more I work it the more I'm able to apply it. The ultimate goal is to be able to mix it all together somewhat seamlessly.

Since starting Judo I've also developed some pretty intense elbow tendinitis from all the judo gripping on top of the other grappling. That has affected my shooting grip and is a bit discouraging.

In 2023 I plan to incorporate more strength and mobility work to support my commitment to grappling. As I get older its harder to do it without minor injuries and that probably means a more significant injury is more likely as well. Staying healthy so I can continue to enjoy it is my primary goal.
    Very good. I’m 63, so my plans to try jiu jitsu have passed but as I enter my final third of life, I feel pretty good. I exercise vigorously, strength training and cardio, I don’t eat crap food and am working on the trifecta for a healthy life: friends and commitments.

So far so good.

Shooting will be til it’s not. Time will tell if I can stay with it or not. What’s helping me now is I’m done with firearm buying. If I can over time increase my ammo stocks, I should be okay.

But I have said before that if shooting becomes a rich mans endeavor, I’ll take up something else.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Very good. I’m 63, so my plans to try jiu jitsu have passed but as I enter my final third of life, I feel pretty good. I exercise vigorously, strength training and cardio, I don’t eat crap food and am working on the trifecta for a healthy life: friends and commitments.

So far so good.
    I think taking care of our bodies is the most important thing we can do. I've not done a great job of it, but I'm making better habits slowly.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I think taking care of our bodies is the most important thing we can do. I've not done a great job of it, but I'm making better habits slowly.
    I have always taken pretty good care of myself, at the same time I have always put my body through quite a bit and I am starting to pay for it. I am glad for and a little jealous of your current journey.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I have always taken pretty good care of myself, at the same time I have always put my body through quite a bit and I am starting to pay for it. I am glad for and a little jealous of your current journey.
    Its never too late to start Jiu Jitsu if you find the right place to train. Maybe it can be too late to start Judo, as it involves a lot of being thrown on the floor. I'm almost 40 and probably at the end of where starting would have been an option. There are some older guys, but they have been doing it for years and are conditioned to it and have much more skill at falling. They also don't randori like they used to.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is often slower paced and less impact. Sure, you can go with the 20 year olds training for competition and get hard rounds, but you can find plenty of over 40 hobbyists just trying to gain skills. And you don't get thrown on the floor 100 times every practice like most Judo places.

jlw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2018
    Georgia
    I took Sig's Pistol Mounted Optic Instructor course in December. I crossed a bridge with PMOs from an end-user standpoint in this class. A lot of previous work just seemed to come together, and it clicked.

As a student, my 2023 schedule is proving difficult due to scheduling conflicts. On the instructor side, I'll be the primary for a Rangemaster IDC, and I'm part of the Cognitive Conclave. I also have two contract classes in the works.

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN
    Like many, 2022 saw a decrease in the amount of rounds fired for me. Between ammo prices, other comittments, and the closing of a local range it was easy to make excuses. I did attend a MSP course with Scott Jedlinski which was my only outside training last year. I increased my physical training and also took up Yoga to regain some lost flexibility and it has been a game changer for me. For 2023, I am hopeful that I can get more range time in. Our local range is set to reopen on new property and hopefully I'll be able to get more matches in. I will be conducting RDS transition training for a local SO sometime this spring along with conducting training for my own agency. I will be attending a TAC MED refresher course soon and hope to work in a few more classes for myself if everything works out. The journey continues.........

Randy Harris

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I will also throw in my 2022 comings and goings and then look ahead .....

As to classes I attended as a student in 2022 it was pretty sparse. I attended John Hearne's Cognitive Pistol with Tactical Anatomy class and I also Co- taught a class with John which half of the class was his "Who Wins, Who Loses and Why" so TECHNICALLY I guess I took that one too . I sponsored a Church Security Seminar (Magen 2022) and I also taught a private class for a church security team. I taught 9 classes and 11 TN/GA/AL Training Group events. I taught 2 private classes and I shot 6 local IDPA matches and 6 somewhat local non IDPA affiliated "outlaw" Backup Gun matches. And then I shot 3 IDPA major matches which resulted in 2 state championships and a DQ..... and I went to Mexico for a week (which we can argue is awarenss and avoidance training...;)) and went to Disney World for 10 days.....which with those prices is also an exercise in not getting robbed....

So far this year I have attended the Rangemaster Defensive Shotgun Instructor Course (finished 1st in class !) and did the Modern Samurai Project Red Dot Pistol Fundamentals and Performance class (did NOT get a black belt patch....) and I am signed up for a competition class in March in south Indiana taught by Kevin Farrar and Brad Eadens.

So my aspirations for this year are to take another class with Scott Jedlenski and get my black belt patch, and MAYBE one with Ernest Langdon to get my FAST Coin if he ends up offering one that fits into my schedule. I also plan to shoot about 5 major IDPA matches, get enough points to get into and shoot the IDPA World Championship , and MAYBE shoot the Pin Shoot in Central Lake Michigan with CedarTop.

thopson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2020
    Trafalgar
    I took Sig's Pistol Mounted Optic Instructor course in December. I crossed a bridge with PMOs from an end-user standpoint in this class. A lot of previous work just seemed to come together, and it clicked.

As a student, my 2023 schedule is proving difficult due to scheduling conflicts. On the instructor side, I'll be the primary for a Rangemaster IDC, and I'm part of the Cognitive Conclave. I also have two contract classes in the works.
    What did you think of the Sig PMO class?

jlw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2018
    Georgia
    What did you think of the Sig PMO class?

I thought it was really well done with a couple of minor exceptions. They pushed two things designed purely to sell optics. First, they sang along with the assertion that dots will reduce mistake of fact shootings. This assertion fails in two areas. A person will not be able to stop the act of pressing the trigger as they assert as it is already within the reaction/response time window. The other is that one should not have the optic, and thus the muzzle, covering "meat" unless the decision to fire is legally justified and has made the decision to fire.

They also made a few assertions on some bad shootings and claimed that dots would have somehow magically saved the day. Dots don't solve more decision making poor overall shooting skill.

Other than the two items above, their methodology for actually teaching the use of the dot was well done.

thopson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2020
    Trafalgar
    I thought it was really well done with a couple of minor exceptions. They pushed two things designed purely to sell optics. First, they sang along with the assertion that dots will reduce mistake of fact shootings. This assertion fails in two areas. A person will not be able to stop the act of pressing the trigger as they assert as it is already within the reaction/response time window. The other is that one should not have the optic, and thus the muzzle, covering "meat" unless the decision to fire is legally justified and has made the decision to fire.

They also made a few assertions on some bad shootings and claimed that dots would have somehow magically saved the day. Dots don't solve more decision making poor overall shooting skill.

Other than the two items above, their methodology for actually teaching the use of the dot was well done.
    Hmm Aaron Cowan said similar things. I don't discount it. He used actual footage to drive home the points. I do agree that being target focused instead of dot focus will help but we are still dealing with humans and their reaction and decision making.

Thank you for the run down! It seems everyone is basically teaching the same instructor red dot skills!

jlw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2018
    Georgia
    Hmm Aaron Cowan said similar things. I don't discount it. He used actual footage to drive home the points. I do agree that being target focused instead of dot focus will help but we are still dealing with humans and their reaction and decision making.

Thank you for the run down! It seems everyone is basically teaching the same instructor red dot skills!

He wrote a paper making the assertion. It is an assertion designed to sell optics and training. Sig showed a video of a horrific shooting and said that with optics, the officer could have made the shot. Optics were not the reason for the failure.

Top Bottom