• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Sarcasm aside, in addition to GPIA7R said, you've stereotyped every kid marching as one that plays violent video games. That's as bad as saying every gun owner has a Confederate flag and puts school uniforms on the poppers when they practice at the range.

Anti-2A's found their scapegoat; you've found yours. Neither has been able to show that the loss of freedom is worth the potential upside in safety.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    OP: LOL even if there were the vaguest of correlation there's no causative evidence. My brother and I both played violent games and watched movies rated above our age. He ended up a raging liberal, working for a non-profit, married to a teacher, in a blue state while I'm... here.

Regardless of what is next on the ban list...the age of majority should be the age of majority, as in a single age. You're either old enough to decide for yourself or you're not. If the country is going to send you off to fight its wars you should be able to decide if you want to smoke or drink.

Heck, maybe majority should require a test; I don't think some people ever grow up.

As to the OP, don't we already have a game rating system? Some parents let their kids play Mature rated games just like some let their 6yr olds sit in on R rated movies. There's no accounting for bad parenting.

+1 for the test except it'll have to be standardized which brings up a whole slew of other issues. Still better than what we have tho.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Still your opinion. The parents cant punish thier kids here in the USA by spanking or other means. Third world countries dont have the same problems we have because they can punish their kids and they dont have access to a lot of games and other things we have. So therefore it IS your opinion...

LOL. We don't have access to a lot of games? Dunno what cave you're in. You're right about one thing when it comes discipline. And no, it's really not an opinion. Yours might be because you haven't been on the other side of the world.

Previous life experience is not an opinion.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Now, I don't buy this argument, at all, but there are studies that do show a correlation between violent video games and aggressive behavior. There are numerous studies published in scholarly, peer reviewed journals. Psychologists have been studying these effects for nearly 20 years. I have not read them all. I was a lit major, not psych. But, I have spoken with psychology professors, and, while there is not a consensus at this point, they have found that correlation. Now, does that mean that everyone who plays violent video games will turn violent? Absolutely not. However, the theories at this point are working toward finding whether the games cause the aggression or the aggression causes kids to gravitate toward those types of games. I don't think that we can say definitively that there is causation here, but the OP isn't totally pulling this out of thin air. Just my :twocents:.

dwp9mm

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Greensburg
    So after reading some of these prove it statements I bet a few will take offense to this statement too...... I guess when Im standing in Walmart and two kids around the age of 12 are playing a shooter game and yelling at each other to shoot and kill them it doesnt have an effect. Stop with all of the "It doesnt contribite to violence ". I guess you are still waiting on MSNBC to say its been a proven fact.....

dwp9mm

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Greensburg
    Now, I don't buy this argument, at all, but there are studies that do show a correlation between violent video games and aggressive behavior. There are numerous studies published in scholarly, peer reviewed journals. Psychologists have been studying these effects for nearly 20 years. I have not read them all. I was a lit major, not psych. But, I have spoken with psychology professors, and, while there is not a consensus at this point, they have found that correlation. Now, does that mean that everyone who plays violent video games will turn violent? Absolutely not. However, the theories at this point are working toward finding whether the games cause the aggression or the aggression causes kids to gravitate toward those types of games. I don't think that we can say definitively that there is causation here, but the OP isn't totally pulling this out of thin air. Just my :twocents:.

Thanks CraigAPS

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So after reading some of these prove it statements I bet a few will take offense to this statement too...... I guess when Im standing in Walmart and two kids around the age of 12 are playing a shooter game and yelling at each other to shoot and kill them it doesnt have an effect. Stop with all of the "It doesnt contribite to violence ". I guess you are still waiting on MSNBC to say its been a proven fact.....

Just out of curiosity, did you ever play "cowboys and Indians" or "cops and robbers" as a kid?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yup, what I thought: another gamer with funny questions.

How is Kut's question funny? It's a serious question.The difference being those games involve physical actingof the act of killing and dying.

Automobile collisions kill far more than guns, do we need to take away racing games? :dunno:

Forget MSNBC, you haven't presented one bit of evidence to back up your hypothesis. Did you follow and study these kids of Walmart? How did they behave apart from the game? Did they commit any real acts of violence?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Everyone can have an opinion, but that doesn't mean they are all equally valid and should carry the same weight. If you want to have an opinion, that's fine. If you want to have an informed opinion, I'd point you to: https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Side-Man-Helix-Books/dp/0738203157

In short, video games/movies causing violence is contraindicated by evidence and studies. Other than Grossman and his pseudo-science, nobody who studies violence believes this. Those who observe violence rapidly come to learn better as well, if they pay attention. I used to think Grossman's work was valid, the real world showed me something quite different. Weak social accountability, lack of access to positive male role models, the narcotics culture, those things correlate to violence. Playing Grand Theft Auto or watching SAW doesn't.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Here's another argument: back in ye olden days, you did your best work in your teens and 20s. kings and rulers, soldiers, scholors. I laugh when I see pics of famous historic figures as being white haired and, well, old because until recent centuries (if not decades) my 30-some years would make me an old man thinking of being a grandfather soon if not already. Keep pushing back the age people are allowed to do anything and most will simply say "OK, now I don't have to do anything until then" fulfilling a self-fulfilling prophesy and a vicious cycle.

As for kids talking while playing games in the store, "hey kill that bad guy" is a lot faster than "manipulate the controls to make the fictional main character appear to kill these simulated humanoids representing bad people with a firearm model"

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Everyone can have an opinion, but that doesn't mean they are all equally valid and should carry the same weight. If you want to have an opinion, that's fine. If you want to have an informed opinion, I'd point you to: https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Side-Man-Helix-Books/dp/0738203157

In short, video games/movies causing violence is contraindicated by evidence and studies. Other than Grossman and his pseudo-science, nobody who studies violence believes this. Those who observe violence rapidly come to learn better as well, if they pay attention. I used to think Grossman's work was valid, the real world showed me something quite different. Weak social accountability, lack of access to positive male role models, the narcotics culture, those things correlate to violence. Playing Grand Theft Auto or watching SAW doesn't.

And, that's what I meant about life experience and up bringing. It's not an opinion. It's real life.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom