• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    FYI - I have shot the match twice with a Nikon P-22 (2-7X) using a duffel bag for a front rest instead of a bipod. It's doable. There was just enough holdover/under reference markings (BDC) to shoot the 75-165 class. For where I am with my shooting, I didn't shoot a whole lot different.

One match winner shoots with his variable power optic set to 8X.

More magnification is better. Mildots, milrad or similar hash marks are too. Seeing exact details your own hits is helpful, but don't lose track of the fact that you have a spotter with better glass, helping you find your holds real time.

Just saying that you don't have to get overly hung up on gear for your initial matches. Sharing guns is common and happens nearly every match, if not every. The same with newbies shooting offered guns, paying only for ammo.

The MD got me shooting these matches by offering his gear to get me started.

Last edited:

rala

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Evansville
    I should qualify my response. I'm going to take the teenage approach "So the plan is to see what other people are using, ask questions listen to the response and ignore all advice. Then wonder why it didn't go my way.:dunno:

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I should qualify my response. I'm going to take the teenage approach "So the plan is to see what other people are using, ask questions listen to the response and ignore all advice. Then wonder why it didn't go my way.:dunno:

Plan to shoot. At worst, it'll cost you $15 to have a hands-on experience and you'll learn $100 worth of info. At best, you'll win a Lewis class payoff and get your entry fee back plus the experience. First place & 13th place sometimes pay the same $ amount.

The other factor is that pesky thing called probability and the law of averages. Your 15x scope is like a laser, but your group at 165 yards is 3". The first shot hits low on the target, do you change point of aim? You don't generally don't know if your group is going to be low, or if that shot happened to be the lowest in a perfectly centered group. Which is why quality practice sessions in varying conditions (breeze, wind, humidity, etc) gains you knowledge of where your rifle should shoot. Otherwise, you just chase shots based on a sampling of one.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Switched my travel days so I can make both matches. Looking forward to it. Might be using new ammo on Wednesday so we'll see how it goes. Practiced with it on Sunday and this Federal ammo seems to be grouping really well. Thanks to Litlratt I got a pretty good deal on it.

rala

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Evansville
    Not going to make it tonight. The boss is acting like a, well like a boss. Enjoy the nice weather and stay safe.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Wondering if there will be reporting here in the AM on match status for 7.22.18? Forecast I'm looking at now calls for 80% chance of rain...

I'm good with playing in the rain, but wonder if others will be? Hate to drive an hour plus to get there and the match is cancelled.

:dunno:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My scope mounted, so all I need to do is get to a range and zero with my ammo, then go to Riley and see where I am hitting at the known distances.

Should be ready by the next match to be there and shoot!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Even with little rain it was a great day to be out at the range and a fun match. Wind was little crazy at times especially at 200 (at least that's what I'm blaming it on) but rifle shot good and match ran pretty smoothly.

Top Bottom