• ...and so much more!
  • MeAndMyXD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Hammond
    I just picked up an AR. :rockwoot:

On the lower receiver it says .223 5.56 I was just wondering which is the best round to shoot.

Also it has a 1/9 twist, which is the best grain of ammo to buy.

TREETOP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Carmel/Westfield
    The caliber will be determined by the chambering of the barrel, rather than the writing on the lower. Are there any markings on the barrel? Is it a factory built gun?
    If in doubt, get .223, as 5.56mm can be loaded to higher pressures. If it's a factory built gun or if the barrel is marked 5.56mm, you can shoot either.

1:9 is a good compromise in barrel twist in my opinion, it'll shoot pretty much anything from light varmint loads up to heavy/longer stuff. Most standard .223 is 55gr or 62gr, either of those is what I'd stick with.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    The only difference is basically chamber pressure. I'd pick up some surplus of 5.56 and a box of .223 and see which you like more.

5.56 is known to have a higher velocity than the .223... either way it should shoot about the same up to a certain point.

MeAndMyXD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Hammond
    It is factory built and on the barrel it says 5.56, I was just wondering if there would be any problems shooting two different types of ammo through it, Thanks.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    The only difference is basically chamber pressure. I'd pick up some surplus of 5.56 and a box of .223 and see which you like more.

5.56 is known to have a higher velocity than the .223... either way it should shoot about the same up to a certain point.

I just want to clarify, this poster is NOT suggesting that you shoot 5.56 in a .223 chambered weapon.

He is referring to if you have a 5.56 weapon.

Find out what your weapon is, and then shoot that.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I just want to clarify, this poster is NOT suggesting that you shoot 5.56 in a .223 chambered weapon.

He is referring to if you have a 5.56 weapon.

Find out what your weapon is, and then shoot that.

Exactly! If your chamber is only made for .223, then don't shoot a 5.56 round through it. You'll most likely damage your weapon from the higher pressure build up.

5.56 is built to military specs, which means the brass is thicker and the leade is longer. If your weapon is built to handle it, then by all means have at it, but first make sure.

If you are not sure at all I'd stick with a .223 for safety reasons.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    What brand is the upper? Some manufacturers will specify .223, others are good with either.
    Check in the owners manual, or if you dont have one, maybe somebody on this board will have one for that make.

MeAndMyXD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Hammond
    Well after seeing the barrel and the lower have 5.56 on it and that its a factory built dpms I would think that 5.56 would be safe to shoot. Thanks

Now I got to go get some ammo.:D

MeAndMyXD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Hammond
    What brand is the upper? Some manufacturers will specify .223, others are good with either.
    Check in the owners manual, or if you dont have one, maybe somebody on this board will have one for that make.

I bought it new. Its a dpms upper and lower.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Yep, I caught that it was a DMPS just after I posted that, looks like the 5.56 is good to go in your rifle, since its stamped on the barrel. My Armalite likes the American Eagle 5.56 that federal puts out, and it is brass cased so you can reload it after you shoot it. Dont know if you have a Dunhams up that way, but the one down in Muncie had it on sale this week for $35 or so per 100rds.

LuckyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Sounds like your chambered for 5.56. Now you should just get some different brands and see which your rifle prefers the most.

I have pretty good luck with Federal in my DPMS. Although my DPMS will shoot everything including steel casing ammo.

MeAndMyXD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Hammond
    I bought some remington ammo last night, thats what dpms says they use to test fire their rifles so I'll try that first and see how they work.

Top Bottom