• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Has anybody seen any data specifically for the Hornady 53 VMax? I tried some loads with them Wednesday in my 1:9 LRPV. I started 2gr under max and went up in 1/2 gr increments. It shot poorly with light loads but the groups got better as the loads got hotter and was right at 1" with 24.5 gr of AA2230. I'm using 53 HP data and assuming it won't be much different, if any. 25 gr is listed as the max so I'm going to sneak up on that in small increments.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Not much out there, huh?

Since I didn't get buried in replies on this, I thought I'd share my results. The 53 gr VMax is a bullet Hornady is loading in one of their new Super Performance loads. It's a boat tail and somewhat longer than others of similar weight. As previously mentioned, the hotter the load, the better the gun shot. Seeing no pressure warning signs, I moved on up in smaller increments from 24.7 gr to 26 gr. At 26 there were still no signs of high pressure. Primers weren't flattened or cratered and the necks are still smoked. However, accuracy began to fall off slightly as I went beyond 25 gr. So there you have it. 25 gr of AA2230 behind the Hornady 53 VMax is shooting an easy 1 MOA from my rifle. Now I'll move on to a couple other powders and force myself to make more trips to Crosley.

Oh! And by the way, the 12 twist .204 PK Firearms AR15 hates 40 gr Nosler BTs but is also shooting right about an inch at 100 with 32 VMax.

It was another good day at the range! :rockwoot:

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Do you know what speed you were getting?

I couldn't imagine AA2230 being a winner by any metric, but haven't shot more than a pound or two.

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    In my opinion if you are not using a chronograph to see what you are doing you are doing yourself an injustice, and possibly a dangerous situation in the making.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I played alot with the 2230 and really wanted it to work. It was only OK in my opinion. The best thing I have done with the 55gr V MAX is switch to H335 and load right at book max. This was safe in my gun. you should always work up your own load
    That shot so much better then the dozens of 2230 loads I fiddled with.

OAL would be gun dependent I imagine but using a stoney put gauge on a caliper I am at 2.862

Top Bottom