• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    I noticed Nickel Plated Brass is not too expensive, as is new Lake City 5.56x45 unfired. I'm curious with all the choices at Midway USA for unprimed new brass which is in stock, which is the best choice? I've got a Brother In-Law who loves to reload my 223 ammo, and was just trying to find a good deal on brass.

Thanks for any contributions to my decision!

:)

billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    160   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross
    lake city is my preference . its thicker than the Winchester nickel and will require a little less powder to acheive same pressures .

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    90% of my brass is surplus once fired. I just cant see spending the money on new brass when surplus (LC,WCC,etc.) works just as well for half the price.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I've found that the nickeled brass is a bit more brittle and doesn't size as smoothly sometimes

The only reason I prefer nickel to non is on some guns I put different loads in the shiny cases that way I always keep them separated.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    There is almost always people selling brass in the classifieds on this site. Good clean .223 brass is usually between a nickle and a dime a piece. I have plenty if you need it. Good Luck

Brownie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Fayette county
    Just a reminder. You will have the extra step of removing the primer pocket crimp on once fired military brass. The new LC stuff at midway dosent have it.

Hazwhopper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    I have used Nickle in handgun reloading. I like it because it is easier to find once fired. The other reason is that with straight walled cases, it is more durable. However with necked or shouldered cases, I find they collapse easier. That is a good tell tale of when to replace or restock your brass.
    I really like the looks of Nickle cases though. They are easier to clean and prepare. They don't seem to strech as much as others.

Top Bottom