• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    I use old 223 range brass to make my 300blk and I've noticed some brands are hard to get formed properly and others just wont do it at all no matter how many times I run it through my Lee die , so I've started taking those brands I've noticed problems with and set them aside before I start cutting my 300
    My question is would those I removed be good to reload whenever I get into doing 223 or is some brass simply no good for reloading , hate to just pitch them

Brands that haven't worked great are wolf,ppu, ama and some I got some with no headstamp at all that wont even come close to working as 300blk

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    The brands you mention having problems with are the ones I toss in the scrap bucket as a matter of course.

Along with FED, Norinco, and other problem cases.

Many 5.56 reloaders find that Lake City is the go to brass.

The ONLY brass that Black Hills will buy is LC. They know a thing or two about reloading.

Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    The cases could also become harder/brittle with age. Have you tried anealing the problem cases?

No unfortunately I'm not set up to aneal cases for now
    Think I'll keep em in a bucket for now until I take up 223 reloading and give em a test run, cant hurt I guess ....then if nothing good comes of it they'll go in the scrap bucket

Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    The brands you mention having problems with are the ones I toss in the scrap bucket as a matter of course.

Along with FED, Norinco, and other problem cases.

Many 5.56 reloaders find that Lake City is the go to brass.

The ONLY brass that Black Hills will buy is LC. They know a thing or two about reloading.

Yea LC definitely runs through my size die the best , seems like sometimes I can get the wolf cases to to come out ok ,bout a 50/50 shot though

Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    Stop messing around and go here to find what you want. Once fired brass that comes from ranges. Take your pick @ https://brassmanbrass.com/

Thanks , looks like they're down to pretty much just crimped LC (wich is fine) crazy to see how almost everything else is out of stock...like that on almost all the sites I usually buy gun stuff from
    Really looking foreward to the panicked buying to end lol

papa6x

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I found some guy on Gun Broker that had a bunch of fired LC blanks, it's been a couple years ago though. They was like $30 per 1000, I think. They worked good for me, and cheap enough.

Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    I found some guy on Gun Broker that had a bunch of fired LC blanks, it's been a couple years ago though. They was like $30 per 1000, I think. They worked good for me, and cheap enough.

Never thought to look for fired blanks!! Thank you ....thatd be pretty nice if I could get anywhere close to that price

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Don't use case with more than .011" neck thickness..

When I was in the "Groove" for making .300 AAC Blackout brass out of .223/5.56 brass, I came across info on measuring your processed BK brass neck thickness??

It seems?? that some of the brass that was more than .011" neck thickness (Hard to measure with standard calipers) was prone to problems on projectile seating and loaded rounds neck diameter.

This would turn up in a lot of import brass and some FC cases...Bill.

PS: This "Problem" can be addressed with Neck Turning (Cutting) if you would choose that route..For me, I just scrapped that brass..

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I won't mess with unknown range brass, or reforming .223/5.56 brass. Just buy new 300 BO brass and move on. Can't get it mixed up based on headstamp either.

Top Bottom