• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    I just switched over my Dillon 650 from 9mm to .223 for the first time since I've had it. I have been loading pistol rounds for my sons competitive shooting all year and I'm not real experienced with rifle reloading on the Dillon. My question is what length do you trim your .223 brass before running it through the press, I would assume that if I trim to speck once it goes through resizing/depriming it will be to long again? Am I off on my thought process?

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Personally I would run it through your Dillon and just size it, just size and deprime. And then trim it, and chamfer it, tumble it... And then run it through the Dillon and load it the second time through. without the sizer die in place. I trim to 1.750

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Trim AFTER Re-size...

I'm not really sure of your Dillon 650 system, I load all my rifle on a RockChucker single stage. I DO know that you want to trim AFTER you Full Length Size.

Your cases will lengthen after they are full length sized, so you need to trim to 1.750" AFTER the re-size...Bill.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    With his Dillon he can easily just size and deprime, either you can use another tool head with just the sizer die installed or
    back out the seater / crimp die and leave the primer tube empty along with a empty powder measure.

With using the progressive if you have a case feeder you will size and deprime in no time..

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    As has been said, you will want to trim after sizing. But once that is done, I believe trim to length is 1.750, with a minimum length of 1.740. But I'm not looking at a manual right now. Yours will tell you on the first page of the load data for .223.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    After doing a little more research, I found that since I am running them in an AR with and the chamber being so long in the AR, that I really don't have to trim them at all. I loaded up 50 rounds last night and ran them through the gun this morning with no issues at all! So I should be ready to crank out another 500 or so with some confidence. I will need to run them through a couple other .223 guns that I have to verify if they will run through all of them that way, but at least for the AR used to test (which is my my temperamental of all of them) everything went great.

Top Bottom