• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MarkRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I've been shooting the Ruger Mark III (.22lr) and was kind of interested in a .22lr/.22wmr revolver.

I am a medium size guy, 5' 9" - 170 lbs, but have small hands by any standard.

The Ruger Single Six convertible looks like a very nice gun, but it's single action.

The double actions sound a bit more practical, but the only ones I could find were made by Taurus (Tracker) and Charter Arms (Pathfinder). I am not too familiar with these brands, but perceive them to be lesser than Ruger. The Taurus was in the NRA mag this month, and got a good review. The Charter Arms I know almost nothing about.

The main use would be target shooting. By sticking with .22 lr and wmr I can use the ammo for varmints and pests with a rifle.

I wanted to edge up to a more powerful handgun, but keep the cost of ammo to a minimum. I don't have any problem shooting the Ruger Mark III up to 25 yards - 90% of shots in a 4" circle. I would want similar accuracy from the .22 wmr.

Thanks, Mark.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Taurus also has the model 941 which is the .22 mag and the model 94 which is .22lr

The model 94 is a 9 shot revolver and the 941 is 8 shots I believe.
    They both come in various barrel lengths and are SA/DA.

I have a Charter Arms Pathfinder that I bought for cheap plinking to go along with my semiauto .22 and I enjoy it. I wanted it to be SA/DA so I could also practice my DA trigger pull. It has a 6 shot cylinder and comes in different barrel lengths as well.

I am not sure if any of these models comes with the option of conversion cylinders though, so they may be .22lr or .22mag only.

I have fired a few of the Taurus .22 revolvers. A couple different 94s and a 941 and they werent too bad. DA trigger pull was kind of rough, but could possibly be smoothed out. I haven't personally shot any of the Tracker series in .22lr

nailknocker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    I have two Taurus revolvers, a 44mag and a mod.94 22lr, both have given me excellent service and accuracy.
    The model 94, which I believe comes in 22lr and the wrm round, is a small frame revolver and would be a good fit for smallish hands. Check them out, I think you will like them.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    Don't rule out the single actions! Accurate and very fun, if for nothing else playing John Wayne and Clint Eastwood! Ruger has amazing single actions, but I didn't have THAT much money so I went with the Heritage Arms Rough Rider. Came with both LR and WMR cylinders and fiber optic sights at almost half the cost. Fun and cheap to shoot yet still very effective on varmints and cats. Good luck in your search!

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    Taurus also just introduced the Model 992 revolver - two cylinders, one .22LR and one .22WMR.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I am partial to the Single Six, I think they are very well balanced and accurate. Some double action 22's have a pretty heavy trigger pull. You may find yourself shooting in single action mode more than double action anyway. I know I am more accurate shooting any revolver in single action.

MarkRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Don't rule out the single actions! Accurate and very fun, if for nothing else playing John Wayne and Clint Eastwood! Ruger has amazing single actions, but I didn't have THAT much money so I went with the Heritage Arms Rough Rider. Came with both LR and WMR cylinders and fiber optic sights at almost half the cost. Fun and cheap to shoot yet still very effective on varmints and cats. Good luck in your search!

Googled the Heritage. You say yours came with both cylinders... for about $200?

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    Don't rule out the single action. Try it out if you get the chance. I've got the rugar single 10, wouldn't trade it for anything. Just so much fun.

MarkRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Also looks like the Taurus 992 Tracker with the 6" barrel is the only one (of Charter Arms, Ruger, Heritage) that can accept a rail.

No problems with the Heritage?

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Googled the Heritage. You say yours came with both cylinders... for about $200?

I have the Heritage with both cylinders and it was under $200. I love shooting it and so does my children. A lot of fun for the money and accurate. I wanted the "pearl grips", but I see these at shops occasionally for $175 or so. Not sure where you're located but I know that Bradis carries them. They also make a bird head grips if that fits you're hands better.

Here's mine:
    picture.php

MarkRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I have seen pretty good reviews of Bradis on here. They are any easy detour on my way home from work. I will stop and take a look.

Thanks everyone! :)

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I love my single six, but my boss also owns a pathfinder now. Its pretty nice, but his is currently back for repairs. Cylinder collides depending on which chamber its on.

MarkRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Update on endless Googling

This is what I've figured out in the last few days searching around for .22 revolvers etc....

Considering .22 lr and .22 wmr and or convertibles we have a list of features:
    1) Caliber - .22 lr only, .22 mag only, convertible
    2) Sights - fixed or adjustable, accepts scope rail?
    3) Barrel length - 2" 3" 4" 5" 6" in between, longer?
    4) Action - SA, or SA/DA
    5) Material - blued, stainless, airlite

Charter Arms: 6 shooters, SA/DA
    Pathfinder
    2" 4" 5" barrels, stainless, .22 lr or .22 mag, 4" model includes a convertible
    $350 give or take
    Pros: convertible 4" model, price
    Cons: reliability

Taurus: 9 shooters, SA/DA
    Model 94
    2" 4" 5" barrels, stainless, blued, or ultralite, .22 lr or .22 mag, not convertible
    $350 give or take
    Tracker 990's
    4" 6" barrels, stainless or blued, .22 lr or .22 mag, convertible model
    6" will take a rib mounted scope rail
    $450 give or take
    Pros: lots of features
    Cons: reviewers love 'em or hate 'em, some mentioned baked play dough..

Heritage Arms: 6 shooters, SA
    Rough Rider
    A fleet of configurations including convertible
    $220 give or take
    Pros: price
    Cons: if it shoots what more do you want

NAA (North American Arms, MINI revolvers) 5 shooters, SA
    Black Widow etc...
    1" to 4" barrels, .22 lr mag and convertible
    $250 give or take
    Pros: super concealment
    Cons: too dang small to shoot the hell out of

Ruger: 6 / 10 shooters, SA
    Single Six, Single Ten
    4.5-9.5" barrels, convertible models (single ten .22 lr only), hunter takes scope rail, aftermarket scope rails that mount in place of rear sight, stainless or blued
    $450 give or take
    SP101 (8 shooter, SA/DA)
    4.5" barrel, stainless, .22 lr only
    $500 give or take
    Pros: versatile and accurate, hold value
    Cons: not S&W or Colt

S&W .22 lr SA/DA revolvers (there are .22 mag versions, but I omit them)
    17 - 6" and 6 shots; blued; adjustable rear sight; pinned partridge front sight; $725
    18 - 4" and 6 shots; blued; adjustable rear sight; pinned partridge front sight; $725
    63 - 3" and 8 shots; ss; adjustable rear sight; hi viz front sight; $625
    617 - 4"/6" and 10 shots; ss; adjustable rear sight; partridge front sight; $675 (can get aftermarket scope rail)
    Pros: solid choice
    Cons: price, would dissuade me from beating on it

Colt double actions, (rare, outta my price range)
    Trooper (.22 lr)

Uberti 6 shooter
    Stallion Target
    5.5" barrel, various configurations including convertible
    $550 or so
    Pros: looks
    Cons: 2nd to Ruger

Dan Wesson pistol pack
    no longer manufactured
    basically a suitcase with a .22 revolver with interchangeable grips and barrels from 2-8"
    Pros: barrel swap
    Cons: used market only

If I wanted a .22 mag only, I'd go with a cheap snubby - just to plink around with (not S&W) and try not to cry if it turns out to be a POS.:xmad:

If I wanted a .22 lr only, I'd go with S&W 617 crying once and ripping hair out to decide between 4" barrel and 6" and treat it with loving care.:D

For a convertible, I'd go with Ruger Single Six and pick 5.5" stainless model, add scope rail, and shoot the hell out of it.:ar15:

GripnRip

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Nobody has mentioned the Ruger Bearcat .22. Anyone have any experience with that? How does that differ from the single six? I'm hunting for .22 pistol or revolver as well so I'm curious.

Top Bottom