• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    What is everyone buying for the 22lr in bulk. I heard someone talking about liking the federal in bulk and was not sure if that is the stuff you get at Wal-Mart. Looking for something that would feed good in 10/22 and 22 pistol.

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    I have a good selection of .22 stuff and for the most part i dont like the federal bulk stuff as much as the winchester. the federal champion in the blue boxes of 50 are pretty good, but the accuracy of the maroon bulk stuff isnt near as good.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    I like Federal Champion (blue boxes of 50). The only bulk that's been accurate for me is CCI Blazer, and it's hard to find. I do end up buying a lot of the Federal bulk for my son... the accuracy isn't going to matter to much to him and they are reliable.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    It's an individual decision based on what your gun likes.

With the .22, one gun could come off the assembly line preferring brand A, while the one right behind it prefers brand B.

My best accuracy with bulk ammo comes from Winchester Xpert.

Josh <><

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    +1 on Win X. I have a few thousands federal's cheap-o in bulk and have little issues though.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    It's an individual decision based on what your gun likes.

With the .22, one gun could come off the assembly line preferring brand A, while the one right behind it prefers brand B.

My best accuracy with bulk ammo comes from Winchester Xpert.

Josh <><

Big +1 on that one. The Walmart Federal bulk works good enough for all my 22's. Well minute of starling anyways

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    The only bulk ammo that my 10/22 won't feed is Remington. With the others, I have an occasional hiccup. As others have said, it's entirely possible that your particular 10/22 or pistol will feed Remington just fine. The nice part is that a bulk pack isn't that expensive. You can buy one box of each, go fire 100 rounds out of each box. Whichever round performs best, go back and buy 3 or 4 more bricks, and you'll be set.

jimbolucky13

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    All my .22s like the federal in the maroon box except my walther P22. Wal-mart down here it's that vs. remington and the remington is like $17 vs. $14 and 50 rounds short of the federal.

Since I've brought up my P22 doe's anyone else have one that is so picky about ammo? Mine will only shoot CCI minimags nothing else I've tried will work the action.

phrozen5100

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    IN
    All my .22s like the federal in the maroon box except my walther P22. Wal-mart down here it's that vs. remington and the remington is like $17 vs. $14 and 50 rounds short of the federal.

Since I've brought up my P22 doe's anyone else have one that is so picky about ammo? Mine will only shoot CCI minimags nothing else I've tried will work the action.

My P22 shoots CCI Mini-Mags and Stingers reliably, but nothing else. I tend to get about 2-5 FTF/FTE per mag with any other type of ammo. I've fired about 1500 CCI rounds without a single hitch, though. There are supposedly some modifications you can make to make it feed better, but I've yet to try them.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I've been buying the Federal Bulk Packs for several years now. I couldn't guess how many thousands of rounds of it I"ve shot.

As you can see, it's provided some decent accuracy for me over the years

MarlinA1-1.jpg

Image055.jpg

Image015.jpg

I can't think of a semi-auto that it has ever provided a feeding or reliability issues.

Doug K

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    +1 on Win X. I have a few thousands federal's cheap-o in bulk and have little issues though.

Are you all talking about the white box 550 rounders or the 50 round gray boxes?

I have the worst accuracy, most duds and most failures to feed with the lead bullet winchester 550 xpert stuff. I can't stand it. My current box I fired about 2/3 the box and had 4 duds. Only reason I bought it was I got it for 10 bucks a box on clearance.

From my 10/22's to Mark II, GSG-5, P22... they all run near flawlessly with remington 550 and federal 550 vs that winchester xpert crap.

If prices were equal I'd buy the remington 550 golden bullet. Best accuracy out of the three. Since the Federal is the mid-line price I usually wind up buying that because it's 3 bucks cheaper.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    I have the worst accuracy, most duds and most failures to feed with the lead bullet winchester 550 xpert stuff. I can't stand it.

I agree 100%. The Xpert stuff isn't worth hauling home. 11 failures to fire from the last box, and I do mean the last box. Never Again. Some years ago Remington had the same problems but after enough customer contacts voicing dissatisfaction and a loss of sales, quality picked up and value increased. Problem is that period left a bad taste in many shooters mouths that has held over until today. Absolutely no more Xpert for me. Federal is my choice for cheap plinkers. Still can't go back to Remington yet. For quality RWS is first and Oley is my back-up.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    155   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Federal bulk pack

I buy nothing but Federal bulk pack from Walmart. Every 22 that I own will shoot it reliably and accurate enough to suit me. If I want to go for pinpoint accuracy then I buy the Blue box Federal or Wolf. I can't stand Remington. It burns very dirty and gums up the action.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    I like the blue box federal 40gr stuff. its great in everything! And 16.50 if ya buy 11-boxes (550)rds..... Worth the money over the federal bulk....

But the federal bulk works fine too.... just not as much power and alot less penetration.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I've tried both Federal and Golden Bullet bulk packs. Both shoot fine. I get around 1% misfires. When I want ammo to run well, I buy 100 round packs of CCI Mini-Mag. A good bit more expensive than bulk pack, but still under $0.07 a round.

stormryder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Batesville IN
    Been using Winchester Wildcat since I have had my Marlin Mod 70. Great accuracy after breaking gun in. Bought 500 round brick of Centurion, not sure if worth the deal I got yet($10 Brick).

Top Bottom