22lr Trainer for my son CZ 457 VPT or Bergara B14r?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    I am trying to pick out a 22lr precision trainer for my 16 year old son. I already have an optic but I cannot decide whether to get the CZ Varmint Precision Trainer with a steel barrel or the Bergara B14R with an 18" carbon fiber barrel. I know that CZ's shoot lights out and everything I have looked up on the Bergara says they shoot.
    The Pro's of the Bergara B14r is they accept everything Rem700 for aftermarket parts.
    The Con's of the CZ is scope mounting options (area 419) and no cheek riser.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

GSPBirdDog

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I am of the thought you shouldn't make it too easy on them. Give them a gun they can make their own not made for them. Learning the basics and being able to translate it to any firearm could be a lifesaver down the road. Once he has gotten everything out of the gun that he can, then build on that and start personalizing but don't let modifications disguise bad habits...

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    I personally like the cz's. I looked at the b14r a while back. It was a left hander but still interesting to check out. Not really my thing but if you want something very similar to a 700 then thats probably the way to go. It felt like it weighed as much as the centerfire and the magazine was huge but i get it. Accuracy wise i dont think you can go wrong either way. In the end get the one he wants or whichever you like if he doesnt have a preference

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

JGIBSON

Liberty Creek Guns LLC.
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 7, 2021
    Abington IN
    I'm a big fan of Bergara and have a couple of their rifles. However, the CZ 457 is amazing, and I would choose that for your son.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Dunno what your income level is—and don’t want to—but if it comes between “better gun” and “more ammo”, the ammo has to take precedence.

He could be shooting a $100 used old single shot, and after 2 cases, be found to have made unbelievable progress as a shooter.

Actually, many people would be very surprised at what the old Remington and Winchester barrels can hit, with a shooter up to it.

Start with a case of Eley Target, and see where that leads you.

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    Update.....I ended up buying him the CZ 457 varmint precision trainer. My son has been shooting since he was 8 years old and started with a single shot cricket. He is actually a better shooter than I as his eyes are better than ole dads...LOL He is a good, humble, responsible kid and hardly ever ask for anything. I tend to spoil him when it comes to the shooting sports as it is something we can enjoy together. I never had that with my dad as he was too busy playing with sissy sticks on the golf course.
    I ordered an Area 419 30 moa base and a few extra PRS gadgets. I will post a picture here soon when it is complete. Thank you all for your input!

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member