• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I Will Survive

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2011
    I just bought a Ruger 77/22mag. I put a nice leupold vx2 4x14 scope on it. I had it boresighted, but was wondering if anyone could tell me what the ideal range is to sight it in at? 100 yards?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    It is all going to depend of the ammo you chose. Do you know what version of the 22 mag your rifle groups best? Find this out first.

My Winchester 9422 loves the 50 grain federals hollow points. My savage 24 likes the 40 grain FMJ CCI and the marlin bolt action likes the rem 33 grain accutip, All of these have drastically different ballistics tables.

It is also going to depend on the range you want to shoot it at. If you are going to try to long shot stuff than a 125 yard zero will give you 3 inch drop at 150 yards. They start to fall quick after that. What happens here is you have to undershoot close shots and My mind is just getting used to hold over. I don't what to confuse it with hold under. On the 9422 I use the 50 yard zero which is basically dead on from 20 yards to 60 yards and 2 inches low at 100.

I myself use the Winchester 9422 the most for my hunting in 22 mag. Mainly hunting tree rats with the chance of seeing something bigger than a tree rat is possible. It was my main red fox gun for several years and it near perfect for fox. It is sighted in at 50 yards, It hits hard and penetrates very well. Hollow Points and heavy grain bullets it is deadly offhand or off a tree rest. The last box of ammo in 50 grain I picked up was game shok loads and they must be faster than the regular federal 50's as at 50 yards they strike a bit higher and you can hear a little more pop.

The savage used to get used on treed raccoons. It was sighted in at 25 yards with a 2.5 power shotgun scope. The 22 mag produced less fights with the dogs on marginal hits. The FMJ just left a single in and out hole in the head.

The marlin is sighted in a 100 yards. I got it in a trade and use it for groundhogs where the gunshot sound might disturb homeowners. I does provide max destruction on groundhogs. I don;t shoot it much over 100 yards. It blows up on most impacts. Bouncing off a rock or even a dirt clod is very unlikely.

I don't look at the 22 mag as a plinker. More of a dedicated small game rifle.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I also have a Ruger 77/22 mag and it is very accurate. I think I sighted it 1" high at 50 yds which then suffices out to 100 yds. I mostly punch paper. Surprisingly I found that the Armscor 40 gr JHP Armscor at MidwayUSA shoots the same POA as the remington accutip. I also have had good luck with PMC Predator, though i do not know if it is made anymore.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I've watched one of my younger brothers stick 3 shots from his ruger on a 5 gallon bucket at 200 yards with iron sites. It was at the end of a home range day and it put $100 in his pocket. Craziest thing I've ever seen and called BS when he said he could do it. Just glad I didn't pony up any of the cash in the pot. That gun is a beat up tack driver that lives behind the seat of his truck for groundhogs and the occasional crow.

LarryM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Boonsboro, MD
    I have a Ruger 10/22 Magnum with a Sightron 3-9 scope, sighted in at 100 yards with my primary round. Tagging groundhogs is what that rifle was made for !

Dss21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    I have both my 10/22mag and 77/22mag zeroed at 50yds with 40gr CCI HP. They are a little over a inch low at 100yds.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I always sight my rifles in at 50 yards. Then move to 100, or whatever range you choose. Once you get the scope sighted, you should only have to adjust your elevation. I have seen too many people waste ammo, trying to sight in at longer ranges.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Might also consider what you intend to use it for. The 22WMR is capable but maybe a bit marginal for coyotes. For fox and groundhog it is better suited. I'd limit my coyote shots to well under 100yds and fox/ groundhog to maybe 125. If just paper punching zero at the distance you intend to shoot most and correct for others.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If I were you, I'd not do your initial sight-in at 100yards.

Start at 50...Heck, start at 25 and then dial-in at 100.

As said above, at 50 yards, 1" high is a very good starting point.

Sighting in at 100yds might be a lesson in futility.

-J-

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    If I were you, I'd not do your initial sight-in at 100yards.

Start at 50...Heck, start at 25 and then dial-in at 100.

As said above, at 50 yards, 1" high is a very good starting point.

Sighting in at 100yds might be a lesson in futility.

-J-

THIS. Absolutely THIS. 22 Mag is just too darned expensive to be winging out to 100 when you have absolutely no idea where POI might be. Zeroing at 25 will allow you to put it within an inch or two out at 100 depending on ammo/rifle/etc.

It'll also save you a lot of walking - or squinting through a spotting scope.

Top Bottom