• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Merrixs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    North West
    I am in the market for a 24/7 in either a PLS or an OSS. I am unsure of which caliber to get. I will be carrying this gun some, keeping it handy at home for home protection, general target shooting and plinking, and I would like to go to a competition shoot every once in a while. The 9mm is attractive to me for its low cost and I am already reloading 9mm for another gun (my wife’s). I like the 45 for the mass of the bullet. I'm on the fence about the 40 because of some of the things I have read. I am looking for a good conversation about the pros and cons of these three caliber choices. Thanks

john0286

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I own guns in all 3 calibers. The 9mm is the cheapest to shoot. The .45 is the most powerful. The .40s&w is my favorite though. No good reason at all I just happen to like that caliber the best.

shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    For me, it's a flip between 9mm and 45 acp. 9mm is easy to find, reasonably cheap (pricing seems to have less fluctuation because they are so prevalent) and there are plenty of options to feed it through.

45acp is a lot easier to handle when reloading your own ammo. My fat fingers are sometimes challenged by 9mm at the reloading bench, but 45 acp feels huge in comparison. There is also something very comforting about holding a 45 in your hand or next to your bed when you think you heard something strange in the house at night.

I really like how a 45 feels and shoots, but if you're possibly going to need concealment, I would lean towards the 9mm.

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    I think both of those have 5 inch barrels or more on them. If u are looking for something a little bit smaller go with the pro series

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Just as the are no magic bullets there are no magic calibers either. Shot placement is paramount and as follow up shots are often required I would prefer the round I can recover from the fastest in order to make that next shot. Actually in a semi-auto my first choice would be none of the big three but rather the 38 Super. Carry guns in that caliber are tough to come by however so for the most part I rely on the 9mm using CorBon DPX.

This summer I may build my ultimate carry gun...a STI 2011 based Commander in 38 Super.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    From scientific studies they have found out that it doesn't matter which caliber you use. You do more damage with a well placed shot from a .22 then a miss/bad shot from a .45. In the end you need to find a gun that you can shoot effectively and make sure to get well acquainted with it. In the end it isn't the bullet size but your accuracy with the bullet.

guns_up

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    Danville
    I've owned all three. A Glock 23, Kimber Pro Carry and a Berretta 9mm. I just picked up a Ruger SR9c for my Father in law. I will probably get another 9mm before I get anything else. I will suggest a Glock 19 but I am by no means a pro. Reasons
    yep its cheap to shoot.
    you can compete with it
    and with the new hollow points I think its knock down power isn't compromised by its size.

of course just my most humble of opinions

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The 9mm is cheaper to shoot, and there are a lot of SD loadings to choose from. The extra capacity is nice also. The 9mm also has less felt recoil compared to the .40. The only .45's I have shot all had 5" barrels, so the recoil was pretty tame. You need to pick what fits you best, that's what really matters.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I have a 9mm OSS; cheap to shoot, 17 round capacity, and with modern SD rounds, I wouldn't worry about stopping power.

The 5.25" barrel makes it a bear to carry, unless carried open, that's why I have 24/7 compact to compliment it

Merrixs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    North West
    Just to avoid some confusion I guess I should have also stated that my main carry is a J frame 38 special. I am aware that it's the shot placement not just the size of the bullet that really counts. I just wanted to show that I would be using this new gun for a little bit of everything. After reading some more on my own and your comments as well, I am leaning toward the .40. Another set of reloading dies is not expensive, and I like the thought of blending both rounds more and more.

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    I have owned all three. If you are only going to go with a one caliber gun then the .40 would make some sense. It is a compromise cartridge. Not quite a 9 and not a 45. I have both the 9mm and .45 for all the reasons listed. The recoil of these guns is also different. I can put more shots quicker on target with the 9mm. The .45 isn't far behind though and both are pleasant guns to shoot for me. I prefer the .45 in a 5 inch barrel and 9mm for anything smaller. If you already have a 9mm and are reloading then that is what I would go with if $ is the biggest factor, if your a caliber collector and need a manly round then the .45 is the way to go. Either way your not going to go wrong. Just get out, shoot and have fun.

Top Bottom