• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RFox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    West side Indy
    on craigslists i have found these food grade totes. they look like a great way to store water. i am buying one next week. i wil post an update on the functionality. if anyone has one I would appreciate a review. thanks

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    With proper sunlight, they can make green water in about 12 days.

The water needs to be treated to just sit, and rotated, just like your other preps.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    My W2 has those as well. I think I can get them cheaper than that. Only problem would be shipping... or pick-up. These have food-grade wax in them with metal cages around and a spigot (2"?) at the bottom.

Don't go through many at a time, but I can see if they will let me buy them for what they sell them back for.

Might be a longshot, but PM me if you are interested and I will ask.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    I need to pick up a couple myself. I will use them to catch rain water and water my garden with them. It saves me from using my well water and stirring up the sand in the bottom of my well.

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    There is a place in Indy that sell these. They sell all kinds of food grade barrels in many different sizes. For the life of me i can't find their website. Anyone know?

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i bought one from a local guy in sheridan for 65 bucks i think. its awesome as a rain barrel and is working great for me. if they are cheaper than 60 usually they aren't the food grade on craigslist. just a heads up as i looked for ever. you will have to get a 2 in to 1 inch reducer and then put a garden spigot on it to screw your hose in but its easy to find at lowes.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    i bought one from a local guy in sheridan for 65 bucks i think. its awesome as a rain barrel and is working great for me. if they are cheaper than 60 usually they aren't the food grade on craigslist. just a heads up as i looked for ever. you will have to get a 2 in to 1 inch reducer and then put a garden spigot on it to screw your hose in but its easy to find at lowes.

How long did the rain water stay fairly sanitary in your water tank? Since I will mostly be using mine for the garden, I wouldn't want to treat the water.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    How long did the rain water stay fairly sanitary in your water tank? Since I will mostly be using mine for the garden, I wouldn't want to treat the water.

your good if its just watering your garden or flushing the toilets, your good to go. it will last 3 months or so and since its a clear plastic totes, if you leave it in the sun it will purify the water. they have ben using this technique for a bit in africa. it will take a bit longer here in america and depends on the amount of sun it gets.

BBC NEWS | Africa | Using the sun to sterilise water

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I can get a few of these from my W2. They had food grade wax in them. Small supply, but we empty them every once in a while. They sell them to some local guy for $40 ea. I think. I can buy for that as well. Will sell for same if someone wants to meet me in Grant County area. Otherwise I gotta charge for gas and such and you would be better to buy them more local.

No promises that I will actually get one, but if someone says they want it I will let them know when I get back to work.

2" port below. Will have to rinse them out, but not much. Have metal skeleton frame outside. Can get a pic if need be as well.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    your good if its just watering your garden or flushing the toilets, your good to go. it will last 3 months or so and since its a clear plastic totes, if you leave it in the sun it will purify the water. they have ben using this technique for a bit in africa. it will take a bit longer here in america and depends on the amount of sun it gets.

BBC NEWS | Africa | Using the sun to sterilise water

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try to rig up a small system this summer.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I would really like to pick one of these up for rainwater.

How do you purify that much water for storage? Pool shock?

i saw a guy who used pool shock and read his story about it. it worked well for him and was good for almost a year he said i can't find the article anymore though. if your going to drink the water be careful because your roof will have bird **** and all kinds of other stuff on it that you may not want to drink. you would probably need to filter it and then boil it to make sure it was really safe to drink imo.

Top Bottom