May 22, 2009
    Evansville

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I was under the impression that state law says 16 for a long weapon, but federal law supercedes that at 18............I know that was the case when I was younger....but maybe someone will be along shortly who can paste the direct snippet from IC

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Before GCA 68 the legal age to purchase a long gun in Indiana was 16 and a handgun was 18.
    GCA 68 made it 18 and 21.
    (Stupid Feds!!)

didn't state law still state 16 though?...I wasn't around in 68' but I do remember the IC referencing 16 when I was younger (around that age)......by which I only mean to point out that this person(s) may have been familiar with that regulation and not realize that federal law trumps it otherwise :dunno:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    IC 35-47-10-6
    Dangerous control of a firearm
    Sec. 6. An adult who knowingly, intentionally, or recklessly provides a firearm to a child for any purpose other than those described in section 1 of this chapter, with or without remuneration, commits dangerous control of a firearm, a Class C felony. However, the offense is a Class B felony if the adult has a prior conviction under this section.

IC 35-47-10-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A child who is attending a hunters safety course or a firearms safety course or an adult who is supervising the child during the course.
    (2) A child engaging in practice in using a firearm for target shooting at an established range or in an area where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited or supervised by:
    (A) a qualified firearms instructor; or
    (B) an adult who is supervising the child while the child is at the range.
    (3) A child engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm or participating in or practicing for a performance by an organized group under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code that uses firearms as a part of a performance or an adult who is involved in the competition or performance.
    (4) A child who is hunting or trapping under a valid license issued to the child under IC 14-22.
    (5) A child who is traveling with an unloaded firearm to or from an activity described in this section.
    (6) A child who:
    (A) is on real property that is under the control of the child's parent, an adult family member of the child, or the child's legal guardian; and
    (B) has permission from the child's parent or legal guardian to possess a firearm.
    (7) A child who:
    (A) is at the child's residence; and
    (B) has the permission of the child's parent, an adult family member of the child, or the child's legal guardian to possess a firearm.

Packrat67

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Greenwood
    As a Greenwood resident I am very glad that the police busted these crooks. Age of buyer not as important to me as is the fact that these creeps got BUSTED. Well done GPD

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    didn't state law still state 16 though?...I wasn't around in 68' but I do remember the IC referencing 16 when I was younger (around that age)......by which I only mean to point out that this person(s) may have been familiar with that regulation and not realize that federal law trumps it otherwise :dunno:
    Posts #5 & #6 pretty much state the current legal qualifications.
    IMO
    GCA 68 was a complete POS legislation designed to allow the idiot Liberals to believe that they were making a difference in the behavior of criminals by restricting the States ability to regulate who was allowed to legally posses a firearm. :rolleyes:
    The Brady bunch are the sad remnants of that ideology, and the country will be a better place when they all have passed on to their everlasting reward.:rockwoot:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I agree with the 18 & 21 limits. I don't sell to anyone who doesn't have an Indiana Handgun License. I would also think that any deal made with a person not of legal age would be non-binding.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I agree with the 18 & 21 limits. I don't sell to anyone who doesn't have an Indiana Handgun License. I would also think that any deal made with a person not of legal age would be non-binding.

So it is ok for an 18yr old to carry an M9 over in Afghanistan to fight the Taliban, but he is suddenly not mature enough to buy one once he returns to the States?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Peashooter, as silly as that kind of law sounds, that is right. A 20 year old soldier who just came off a 15 month combat tour of duty cannot leagally buy a new handgun at a shop. Not only that, even if he wants to shoot his dads pistol, the above soldier cannot buy a box of handgun ammo.

During Vietnam, that arguement was used for alcohol, and with enough pressure, Illinios lowered the beer and wine age to 19, and Wisconsin lowered hard liquor to 18, There was a steady flow of Indiana cars driving to Illinios and a steady flow of Illinios cars driving to Wisconsin. Lots of DWI deaths in those days. I think those laws have been changed back

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    IIRC, about a month or so ago the SCOTUS declined to hear a case that would address this.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

Unless you are an FFL, there is no 21 limit for you to agree with.

The handgun license is not a requirement, either, so you're just adding an extra burden to purchase for some reason.

Any other gun controls you'd like to see added that the government hasn't gotten around to yet? :dunno:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    So it is ok for an 18yr old to carry an M9 over in Afghanistan to fight the Taliban, but he is suddenly not mature enough to buy one once he returns to the States?
    I guess I hit a nerve. I didn't mean that. I mean that I agree that that is what the law says. You're preaching to the choir. I couldn't vote or legally drink alcohol at 18 when I joined the Army in 1966. I couldn't legally carry a handgun as an Indiana resident then, either.

Femme Assise

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    As I understood it, you had to be 18 to purchase a gun in private sales. So, by selling a stolen fire arm to a 16 year old, aren't they breaking two laws?

Top Bottom