• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twiggsx1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2011
    Indy
    OK im not sure where this thread goes but i will ask the question, today i went to purchase a gun for the first time, i was hit with a 3 day delay, i have never been convicted of any crime, so im not sure why also still waiting on my LTCH which i was told 7 to 14 days when i went to complete it so any idaea on the 3 day wait and can I get a UPIN to stop this from happing again.

thanks for any advice:xmad:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Complete details can be found in the INGO FAQ. :thumbsup:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...16185-ingunowners_faqs_sticky.html#post187170

I was denied on my Form 4473 NICS check, but I haven't done anything to make me ineligible! Now what do I do?
    When buying from a dealer as an Indiana resident, you will fill out BATFE Form 4473, which is the National Instant Check System. This is the form that the BATFE will use to do your instant background check to ensure that you are eligible to purchase a firearm. The dealer will provide this form and can answer any questions you have about filling it out.
    Once you've completed the form, the dealer will call it in and receive either a "Pass", "Fail", or "Delay". If you pass, you can leave with your firearm as soon as you complete your transaction. If you receive a "Delay", the dealer must sit on the transaction until the BATFE returns a "Pass" or "Fail". If the dealer does not get a response from NICS within 3 business days, he may transfer the firearm on the fourth business day, not counting the day on which the transaction was initiated (many will deny you the sale without an official "Pass", though). That is, if the transaction is initiated on Monday the 1st and you are delayed, NICS has until Thursday the 4th to give a result. If they do not, the dealer may transfer the firearm on Friday the 5th. The "after 5 days" wording of the FAQ is a bit misleading. Note that NICS does not count Saturdays, Sundays or holidays as "business days," even though the gun shop may be open, and NICS may call back with a result on those days. Delays happen for many reasons and you should not be alarmed if you receive one. If your 4473 comes back "Fail" and you know that you have nothing in your history that precludes you from owning a firearm, you may submit a Voluntary Appeals Form (VAF) and receive a Unique Personal Identification Number (UPIN). This UPIN may be put on future Form 4473's to prevent any confusion or delays.

Here is the form for the VAF:
    http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nic...plete-process2

Also, here are a couple of other useful links from our forums:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/genera...me_way_up.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/genera...et_a_upin.html

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    An arrest without conviction on your record may cause the delay. Also, the delay may be shorter than 3 days. NICS can call the dealer back at any time and authorize them to proceed with the transaction.

WOLFEMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    LAFAYETTE
    As an ex-FFL, many delays can be as simple as a common name,
    such as for example, Robert A. Jones. Somewhere in the NIC's check
    there probably is a person with that name that is a felon. The FBI
    will take extra time or delay to make sure you are not that person.
    There are also many other factors that can create delays. Hang in
    there, sometimes it takes up to three days. Sometimes the ATF will
    not call the dealer back at all and then it's up to the decision of the
    dealer to transfer the firearm or not.

Good Luck...be patient

:ingo::patriot:

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    HMMMMMMM lets see the day before the 10th aniv. of 9-11
    And people are getting delayed by Nics .......HMMMMMM

Think that may be a reason ?

A lil bird told me that over half the people called in today were delayed at one shop .

:ingo::patriot:

Top Bottom