• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Anybody use it? Pros and cons of this? Would a 30 Remington upper be hard to build or get ahold of? Would it use a regular AR lower? Like a 5.56 lower setup?

I read an article on this round and it interests me. Just looking for a little info

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I've seen some reviews, and a few people posting in various places on the web that have rifles, but I've never seen one in person, or one for sale. Ammo is somewhat hard to find. I have a couple boxes for sale if your interested. :) I talked to Remington, and they had not yet put component brass on the market but would if there was demand... not likely.

I was considering it for a 35 caliber wildcat, but Remington changed the rim/case head to some obscure dimension (.284 Win is the parent case which uses a standard .308 Win bolt face) so that immediately disqualified it. I have a complete set of Lee shell holders and NONE of them fit. I remember finding the rim they duplicated, but I no longer remember. I don't know if they did this to address feeding issues (.284 Win has a rebated rim) or to keep people from sticking .308 bolt heads in the AR-15 and blowing themselves up (the 55k/60kpsi pressure of the .30 Rem AR is not something a standard AR upper/bolt can deal with). Or both.

You might be able to find/order a DPMS upper in .30 Rem AR as I remember seeing it on their web site a while back. And AFAIK reloading dies are available.

If your looking for a 30 cal AR with some punch you might be able to adapt a WSSM upper and do a .30 WSSM wildcat. You should be able to get close to .308 Win ballistics using .25 WSSM as the parent case.

Otherwise I think I would do a 6.5 Grendel.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    If your looking for a 30 cal AR with some punch you might be able to adapt a WSSM upper and do a .30 WSSM wildcat. You should be able to get close to .308 Win ballistics using .25 WSSM as the parent case.

Otherwise I think I would do a 6.5 Grendel.

The 30 WSSM has actually been standardized and made a legitimate cartridge. It has ballistics that EXCEED the 308 and rival the 30-06 but is limited (due to overall cartridge length limits of the magazines) to lighter weight bullets. Its called the 300 OSSM and/or the 30 OSSM and is sold by Olympic Arms as well as a couple custom shops. They have loaded ammo available by mail order.

I do agree with you about the 6.5 Grendel round, that seems to maximize the AR15 platform in many ways, has both light and heavy bullets, excels out to 1000+ yards in the AR platform and has low recoil.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    You guys know a lot more then me! I was confused just by reading that larger post lol. I plan on building another AR in the next year or so and i want something more then 5.56 but not an AR10

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    You guys know a lot more then me! I was confused just by reading that larger post lol. I plan on building another AR in the next year or so and i want something more then 5.56 but not an AR10

The best that I have found (I've owned 3 so far, but currently am down to 2) is the 6.5 Grendel round in the AR15.

Its the fattest cartridge to reliably double stack in a magazine (27 rounds fit in a standard 30 round 5.56 magazine). It has the highest ballistic coefficient of any bullet that I can find in a factory loaded caliber that will fire through an AR15. Its the only doublestacking round that stays supersonic out past 1000 yards that fits in an AR15. At long ranges it actually has higher velocity and greater energy than a 308 fired out of an AR10.

I will say that the 243 WSSM round can stay supersonic and will fire out of an AR15, but factory loads are very limited, the rounds don't doublestack in a magazine so capacity is severely limited and barrel lengths of about 22" are required for complete powder burn.​

Top Bottom