• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Ok. I've just ordered the parts to complete my lower build. While I'm waiting on them to get here, I am wondering what barrel length to run this at. I intend on supressing it at some point, and I also intend on hunting with it. I'm building it as a pistol right now, and may SBR it later. I'm thinking a 10.5" barrel, that way it'll get me right around or over the size of a 16" with a can on it.

Anyone have any suggestions? I will NOT be hunting supressed this year, hopefully next year. Am I reading correctly that the powder burn is complete by 8"? If so, I could theoretically be ok with a 9" barrel...but the only thing I'm seeing is 10.5" and 12" available at this time.

Sorry for the noobish question :)

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I plan on going with a 9", it seems to be the optimal length per that caliber. AAC makes a complete upper in that length, however I'm not sure if they sell just the barrel.

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Last time I checked AAC had 9" barrels with the gas block and tube for sale. That is probably the route I will be going whenever I get around to building an SBR. In all of my research, the majority of sources claim complete powder burn between 8 and 9 inches. And when I add a suppressor, the OAL of the rifle with still be shorter than with a 16" barrel.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    I went 8.2 for the optimal performance with the shortest length. I have seen complete powder burn through my reloads and VERY good accuracy at 50-100 yards. Check out KAK barrels. I was set on a Rainier barrel, but then I read the builds and quality of the KAK barrels…I can say, it has more than exceeded my expectations.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I built my pistol with a CMMG 8.5" barrel and have no complaints. The previous one I had was a 16" CMMG and it ran fine too. Last fall I was getting hits on a half scale IPSC steel at 220 yards with cast 235 gr subsonic loads.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    I built my pistol with a CMMG 8.5" barrel and have no complaints. The previous one I had was a 16" CMMG and it ran fine too. Last fall I was getting hits on a half scale IPSC steel at 220 yards with cast 235 gr subsonic loads.

We will do the same with mine, a cmmg 8.5" barrel, suppressed. I'm betting we can get some great loads!

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Wow sounds like fun.

I just converted a rifle I already had to 300 BLK using a 16". Working up my first loads now with 125grn SST's.

You guys got me thinking of a pistol build now. Opens up a whole new world of fun. Lots of cash though.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    May wind up doing a pistol on an 80% lower to fill in until "mother says I may" have an SBR. Isn't it great to live in a free country?

Top Bottom