300 gr. Cast Bullet Loads in a Ruger Blackhawk?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    I shoot 20 grains of 4227 in my ruger SBH and Marlin 1894 under a 325 grain cast bullet.

If you could share what powders you have and some info on the bullet we could help you more.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The 4th edition Lymans cast bullet handbook lists loads for a 300gr #2alloy bullet (Saeco/Redding #454) .45Colt using the following powders,

Trail Boss
    Titegroup
    RedDot
    N320
    TrueBlue
    Unique
    Acc.#5

Pm me and let me know which powder(s) you want to use.

Lee S. Forsberg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2011
    I shoot 20 grains of 4227 in my ruger SBH and Marlin 1894 under a 325 grain cast bullet.

If you could share what powders you have and some info on the bullet we could help you more.

I have some H110, IMR 4227, Trail Boss, Unique, 800X, and Win 231. Can use magnum or standard primers. What velocities are you getting with your 20gr load of 4227 and 325gr cast bullet? What is the bore dia of your SBH? How accurate is this load? The bullet I'm using is a SAECO RNGC sized to .452", powder coated and lubed. With two square lube grooves and a crimp groove cast of wheel weights.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Ok.. Why do you think you have to use all those redundancys to achieve your goal. I can see the gas check and the correct lube, but why the extra work of powder coating ?
    I assume you understand the more you fool with / change a bullet. The more variables you add for decreased performance.
    I have pushed 30 cal bullets to 18 to 1900 fps without any undue leading..

Lee S. Forsberg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2011
    Ok.. Why do you think you have to use all those redundancys to achieve your goal. I can see the gas check and the correct lube, but why the extra work of powder coating ?
    I assume you understand the more you fool with / change a bullet. The more variables you add for decreased performance.
    I have pushed 30 cal bullets to 18 to 1900 fps without any undue leading..

I try to shoot bullets as close to as cast conditions as possible because your right the more you fool with them the worse they preform. I've done as you have done with 30 cal bullets, and with larger and smaller calibers. Performance is largely due to bullet fit.
    As for powder coating and lube and a gas check I want to see if an additional lube, like powder coating, makes any difference to accuracy, velocity, or leading. With proper fit leading isn't going to be a big problem. Accuracy if it's any better will be worth the effort. More consist velocities wont hurt. If I get a tangible positive change in any of these areas it might be worth the extra effort. If I realize a positive change in two areas I might stay with the PC. A positive change in all three and I'll keep making these bullets this way for this gun.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Ok.. Go forth and reinvent the cast bullet wheel...

Kidding aside, please post your results good or bad. It's always interesting to see what people find in there experiences.
    With casting and shooting BPCR, I spent untold hours trying to come up with a better mousetrap. It was fun and dissipointing at the same time.
    Good Luck. Squirrel.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Lyman makes an excellent mold for 45lc, 325 grain FP, Lil'Gun powder pushes this in my NHR 45lc. I can say from experience that at 50 yards this bullet will go in and out of a deer lengthwise.

Top Bottom