• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ben992

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Spencer County
    Any body ever use the Lapua brass that require SMALL rifle primers???? What is the deal here? What is the advantage, if any at all? Got a recipe you would like to share that give good results? Mainly, I just want to know what the point is of using a small primer in 308 brass.

I have used 155 gr Sierra Palma Match bullets that I think would be intended for that brass, but I use it with standard Lapua brass, Win LR primers and 45 grs of IMR 4895. It runs just under 2800 out of a 20" tube.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Small rifle primers have a reputation for being much more consistent. If you don't NEED all of the flash of a large rifle or large magnum, why use it? Most BR cartridges use small rifle primers.

ben992

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Spencer County
    Small rifle primers have a reputation for being much more consistent. If you don't NEED all of the flash of a large rifle or large magnum, why use it? Most BR cartridges use small rifle primers.

Ok, I can dig that, but at what point does one need a large primer??? When do you cross over the line?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have used Lapua brass for my Palma gun with large primers. I have never used the small primer brass and I can't imagine how they could beat the 7 that I get for SD with large primers. I haven't been active in long range for the last couple of years though.

Fads come and go. Is this the latest fad?

I don't use Lapua brass anymore anyway. It is heavier than Winchester and I usually only get two loadings out of it. I won't publish my load, but I get 2950 fps with the 155 out of my 30 inch Krieger 1X13 barrel. 2800 fps won't get the job done with the 155. Most guys with the short tubes like yours just shoot 175's or 190's, with the nod toward the 175's for Palma matches here in the US. Standards are relaxed here as far as bullet weight.

For those who may not know, Palma is a long range match with 15 shots fired at 800, 900, and 1000 yards. It is an International game with National teams fielded to compete against other nation's teams. The Palma tryouts will be happening in Arizona in a month or so. Shooters from all over the US will be trying to get a place on the team.

For International Palma, the caliber is restricted to the .308 firing a 155 grain bullet. There have been matches in the past where ammo was issued to the teams, but I don't think that happens anymore. Thank goodness..

The Palma Trophy was created in like 1878 and it is a very prestigious trophy in the long range shooting world.

Last edited:

ben992

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Spencer County
    I have used Lapua brass for my Palma gun with large primers. I have never used the small primer brass and I can't imagine how they could beat the 7 that I get for SD with large primers. I haven't been active in long range for the last couple of years though.

Fads come and go. Is this the latest fad?

I don't use Lapua brass anymore anyway. It is heavier than Winchester and I usually only get two loadings out of it. I won't publish my load, but I get 2950 fps with the 155 out of my 30 inch Krieger 1X13 barrel. 2800 fps won't get the job done with the 155. Most guys with the short tubes like yours just shoot 175's or 190's, with the nod toward the 175's for Palma matches here in the US. Standards are relaxed here as far as bullet weight.

For those who may not know, Palma is a long range match with 15 shots fired at 800, 900, and 1000 yards. It is an International game with National teams fielded to compete against other nation's teams. The Palma tryouts will be happening in Arizona in a month or so. Shooters from all over the US will be trying to get a place on the team.

For International Palma, the caliber is restricted to the .308 firing a 155 grain bullet. There have been matches in the past where ammo was issued to the teams, but I don't think that happens anymore. Thank goodness..

The Palma Trophy was created in like 1878 and it is a very prestigious trophy in the long range shooting world.

Thanks for the info. You question whether this is a fad or not, and well--I do too. I didn't want to jump in for the purpose of nothing more than the latest cool thing. Oh, and $75/100. Out of my 20" 1:10 tube, I normally shoot 178 and 208 gr AMAX--but I shoot 1000 yards, and I play with different stuff.
    Thanks

Top Bottom