• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    what is the quietest suppressor for 308 and 300 blackout at about a 800-1000 price point

is there a 300 blackout barrel that is best length? Will i need to consider special attachment mechanism for a 308 bolt gun and a 300 blackout ar?

Also, what is the same for a 22LR/17hmr/22 magnum for about $400?

I am just starting out on this and getting serious about the purchase...i am real noob...i have only shot two suppressors (one on a 5.56-probably a gemtech--dont recall-wasnt impressed with how quiet it made it) and then a huntertown arms 22 but it was an indoor range so it wasnt that great either in my estimation.

I think i am gonna get the 22 first so i can hunt small game and train my dog to hunt with me

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I don't know what the quietest is based on any experience, but I am out for an Omega! Wanting to get one or at least put one in jail in the next month... It's marketed as the lightest, quietest, and shortest, but who knows. It'd be worth checking out though!

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    it looks like it is titanium...how much are you paying for in weight reduction ...this isn't that important to me on first purchase
    I don't know what the quietest is based on any experience, but I am out for an Omega! Wanting to get one or at least put one in jail in the next month... It's marketed as the lightest, quietest, and shortest, but who knows. It'd be worth checking out though!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    It's significantly lighter, but it's really not any difference in price from most cans is why I find it to be so attractive, plus I'll use if for larger caliber hunting... I am here also to see what a lot of the guys who are experienced NFA guys have to say.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Quietest would be the Omega. I would have gotten one but it wasn't rated for the 12.5" .308 SBR I built so I ended up going with the Saker 7.62. I do love the Saker though, it's one bad SOB.

Optimal barrel length seems to be 8.5"-9" if going the pistol/SBR route. Helps keep rounds subsonic and with a pistol length gas system, there's still enough to cycle the system if shooting the 220gr pills.

For a .22lr, the SilencerCo Spectre II is what I'll be getting next. Prob in the top 3 for quietest and with the stainless baffles, you can safely ultra-sonic clean them.

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    Quietest is more subject then the actual numbers, the tone and other aspects can mean more then just db numbers. Supposisdly the sure fire cans are at the top but their prices are higher then you want to pay. I have a SAS titanium 7.62 screw on can that was in your price range that I'm very happy with, and weight is important.

Try before you buy, preferably on your gun and trying them out at the same time

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Be sure to do research on Surefire cans before making a purchase as their cans are typically louder than others that are more reasonably priced.

In the video below, they test .30 cal suppressors and you can read the dB meter yourself. The Omega did better than the Saker and the Saker did better than the Surefire. If you read the description, they have time stamps for where each suppressor test starts.

[video=youtube;iL2Q2DIX76o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL2Q2DIX76o&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    ^ I like MAC's test but you've got to remember the human ear needs ~3 dB of difference before you'll notice.

I'm probably a week or so away from my ATF Form 1 suppressor approval. I'll be building my own Titanium can. Can't wait to give it a try.

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    Be sure to do research on Surefire cans before making a purchase as their cans are typically louder than others that are more reasonably priced.

In the video below, they test .30 cal suppressors and you can read the dB meter yourself. The Omega did better than the Saker and the Saker did better than the Surefire. If you read the description, they have time stamps for where each suppressor test starts.

[video=youtube;iL2Q2DIX76o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL2Q2DIX76o&feature=youtu.be[/video]
    Thanks for posting this. Very informative and will help in selection of my next suppressor.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    ^ I like MAC's test but you've got to remember the human ear needs ~3 dB of difference before you'll notice.

While your ear may not be able to notice much difference, there is a significant sound energy difference. The scale for measuring dB is logarithmic. Being that the Omega averaged 137 and the Socom averaged 146, the difference isn't as simple as saying the Omega is 6% quieter. The 9 dB difference means that the Socom puts out 9 times more sound energy per square meter. For those who believe shooting with a suppressor means you don't need ear pro, those 9 dBs could be a big difference between how soon the damage starts affecting your hearing.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I wouldn't recommend a Surefire if the first priority is sound suppression. I have a SOCOM 556RC and it's definitely not the quietest 5.56 can I've heard/shot.

I'll throw a recommendation out for Suppressed Armament Systems. Tim is a great guy (former Hoosier) and builds one heck of a can. I have a stainless version of his Arbiter that I've had for many years now and I've shot it side by side against quite a few competitors, it's always drawn attention when people hear it. I don't see a steel version on his website any longer but it would be worth asking about as it would probably be within your price range. I've got over 5K rounds through mine and it's still going strong.

Suppressedarmament.com Suppressors

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    I wouldn't recommend a Surefire if the first priority is sound suppression. I have a SOCOM 556RC and it's definitely not the quietest 5.56 can I've heard/shot.

I'll throw a recommendation out for Suppressed Armament Systems. Tim is a great guy (former Hoosier) and builds one heck of a can. I have a stainless version of his Arbiter that I've had for many years now and I've shot it side by side against quite a few competitors, it's always drawn attention when people hear it. I don't see a steel version on his website any longer but it would be worth asking about as it would probably be within your price range. I've got over 5K rounds through mine and it's still going strong.

Suppressedarmament.com Suppressors
    You mean my SAS Arbiter titanium can is out of his price range, I think I gave $800 for it new

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Quietest would be the Omega. I would have gotten one but it wasn't rated for the 12.5" .308 SBR I built so I ended up going with the Saker 7.62. I do love the Saker though, it's one bad SOB.

Optimal barrel length seems to be 8.5"-9" if going the pistol/SBR route. Helps keep rounds subsonic and with a pistol length gas system, there's still enough to cycle the system if shooting the 220gr pills.

For a .22lr, the SilencerCo Spectre II is what I'll be getting next. Prob in the top 3 for quietest and with the stainless baffles, you can safely ultra-sonic clean them.

Dang I was looking at a 10" barrel and a 9" rail... I mean I get that a longer barrel can lead to better velocities, but should I change my plans over an 1"? Just trying to learn and make good choices here. I think the Omega is only rated to 10" if shooting supers with 300blk... But the 8" barrel 7" rail is sweet!

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    You mean my SAS Arbiter titanium can is out of his price range, I think I gave $800 for it new

I'm not sure now that you mention it. I was looking at a couple of suppressor websites and may have confused someone else's pricing for Tim's. He doesn't have prices on his website but Mile High Shooting has it at a starting price of $954.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I admittedly have very poor hearing (extensive damage to an ear drum on one side), so only take this for what it's worth. But I've been around an array of cans, and I honestly can't tell much of a difference between most of them. I primarily wanted something with a QD feature to avoid damaging the threads on my rifle, and went with an SDN-6 from AAC. So far I've been very happy with it, as it has done a good job quieting down a variety of calibers (308, 300BO, & 556 mostly), has a very consistent & repeatable poi shift, is fairly compact, and has (in my limited opinion) one of the best attachment setups I've seen. The biggest down side is dropping a little under $100 on an adapter each time I want to put it on something new. Now if accuracy is your main desire, I'd go with a thread on SAS.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Trust impartial data, not internet opinions. A couple sites will give you fairly real time data and are independent. A couple sites are run by suppressor companies.

We use and trust www.nfatalk.org to be fair and independent for all our testing.

Also, don't forget that the "winner" can on one day won't necessarily be the "winner" can the next day. There are dozens of controllable and uncontrollable factors that play into sound testing.

Top Bottom