• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I was wondering if there was ever such a design made.
    32acp case necked down to 224 caliber and loaded with a 35- 55gr bullet.
    I wonder what the velocity would be for such a cartridge.
    Goal to replace rimfire with a reloadable round with greater accuracy than a 22lr or maybe even the 22 magnum.

Just posting a what if and would it be practical thread. I know there are tons of rounds out there now. I was wondering what you all think something like this would work for.

Feel free to bring in all the technical information. This was just a thought I had riding 6 hours. In a car.... gets pretty boring .

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Loads of them out there already, 22 pup, 22 Squirrel,22 CCM and a bunch of others. When you have short forming dies say in 22 caliber you can form down 22 Hornet cases to about whatever you want.
    The smallest we load is 17 squirrel, its shorter than 22LR. It could be made in 10,12,14,17,19,20 or 22 caliber.
    The 17 will launch a 15-18 grainer 34 to 3600 fps. Once you start playing with the little ones you get hooked. and if bullets are bought in bulk through Midwest or Midway its really cheap to shoot.
    Look over at Todd Kindler in Baltic Ohio, he owns a reloading shop and has a few books he has written. Another place is Calhoon 19 calibers.
    We shoot a 19 Calhoon and thats a 22 Hornet case necked down to 19 caliber and blown out. He offers a 19 Badger which is a 30 carbine caes necked down to 19 and blown out and a 19/223.... Its endless.

Far left is a 22 Hornet case.

View attachment 90364

I would guess the 32 case necked down is a lot of necking down. lol... I would bet one would have many failed and creased necks during the processes. plus a few annealings along that process. I was told you cant neck down nickel cases, if I do a 100 of them I will loose about 10%...

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    NAA did the .25 NAA which is a .32 ACP case necked down to a .25 ACP bullet. (They also went 380 down to .32)

I'm wondering if you could do a .25 ACP case to 22.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    NAA did the .25 NAA which is a .32 ACP case necked down to a .25 ACP bullet. (They also went 380 down to .32)

I dont know why one couldn't, Its either done with custom forming dies or by figuring out what standard dies can be used to get the needed results.
    Like going from 218 Bee which is a .224 bullet to 17 the first step down is to 20 caliber and the second to 18 or so and then the 17 caliber sizing die finishes it up.
    Then on to fireforming to blow out the case and load again.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

That would be interesting. I wonder what the velocity would be on that? Something similar to a 22lr or 22 magnum? You should be able to pack more powder in a 25acp case. A fast reliable reload able varmint cartridge.

Megasaki

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 1, 2020
    Bloomington
    I was wondering if there was ever such a design made.
    32acp case necked down to 224 caliber and loaded with a 35- 55gr bullet.
    I wonder what the velocity would be for such a cartridge.
    Goal to replace rimfire with a reloadable round with greater accuracy than a 22lr or maybe even the 22 magnum.

Just posting a what if and would it be practical thread. I know there are tons of rounds out there now. I was wondering what you all think something like this would work for.

Feel free to bring in all the technical information. This was just a thought I had riding 6 hours. In a car.... gets pretty boring .

Thats a neat idea. Years ago, back in the early 1960's. The M1 Carbine case was necked down to .22. It was called the 22 MMJ. Major Melvin Johnson. It was used in M2 carbines and sold to one of the latin American countries ( I cant recall which one). It was supposedly very well liked. The last time I saw anything published on it was a "cartridges of the world" back in 1970 or so.

Top Bottom