• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shadow6492

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Garrett/Auburn IN
    Looking at getting a rifle in 338 lapua and was wondering what guys with this caliber think of it? I reload so hopefully that will cut costs on feeding it. I've been searching online getting prices on reloading components. Would like some first hand opinions on this caliber thanks.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    If you do not have the following, do not waste your time:

1) access to a range beyond 800 yards
    2) the ability to reload ( even reloading you are at around 3.50 a round. That's $70 per 20)
    3) a quality reloading set up
    4) high quality glass.

Even though some rifles can be had cheap that doesn't mean feeding them is or scoping them properly. A real .338 lapua set up is at minimum a 4-5k investment.

Unless your going ultra long range you would be better off with a .308 or .300 winnag

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    340   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I've shot .338 at 300-600 yards, and it's an awfully fun round. If you save your brass, after the initial purchase you can reload for about $1 per round.

Spend money on good glass, and find a place to stretch its legs. If you can do that, I highly recommend the caliber.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I didn't back out the initial purchase of brass. Keep that in mind as you reload

250gr SMK $30/50 =.60
    Retumbo $25/lb
    75 loads per lb = .36
    Primers $40/1000= .04
    Total minus initial brass $1.00

Lapua brass $275 per 100

shadow6492

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Garrett/Auburn IN
    Thanks for the input. I usually shoot my 308 with members of youngs guns 1000 yard range. Was looking at either the barrett 98b or a sako trg-42. Always wanted the 98 bravo since they came out.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I have shot a 98B while I was visiting LA recently. I shot a target at 700 yards in Angeles National Forest shooting range. It's all up hill but it's fun. Unfortunately it wasn't my gun, it belongs to a good friend who is a very active shooter. I also hit the same target with my 30-06 but not as fun as shooting the 98B.

lapoozyfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2012
    spencerville
    I just bought the 98B and put a nightforce on it, I have not had the luxury of shooting it yet due to working and hunting and weather. I bought ammo at www.cheaperthandirt.com for $25 for a box of ten but do intend on reloading my own after I shoot these up, there is a 1000 yard range north of Kendalville, www.youngslongshot.com, the membership fee is $300/yr however, good luck with your purchase!!

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Looking at getting a rifle in 338 lapua and was wondering what guys with this caliber think of it? I reload so hopefully that will cut costs on feeding it. I've been searching online getting prices on reloading components. Would like some first hand opinions on this caliber thanks.

I've had an Armalite AR-30 in .338 Lapua for 3 years now and shoot it up at Young's Longshot Range up north of Kendallville. The weapon is accurate and fun to shoot but it does have some drawbacks. I don't shoot it now when anyone else is using the range. The muzzle brake is very effective, but other shooters pay the price. The blast from the muzzle brake is directed away from the shooter, but everything and everyone within 20-30 feet on either side of me gets the force and blast from each shot. Coffee cups, log books, papers and pencils go flying and other shooters have to get up and leave the area. The round is expensive to shoot, even if you reload and good brass is hard to find. The rifle is extremely accurate, but even up at Young's shooting at 1000 yards, you won't really have much advantage over a .308 .243, 6mm or any other 1,000 yard caliber. You need to be shooting out past 1000 yards to see any advantages or benefits from going to the .338 Lapua.

Here's a link to a post about my .338 Lapua vs a groundhog at 1000 yards:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...32-groundhog_vs_338_lapua_at_1_000_yards.html

I got bored shooting the Lapua after a couple years and built a Rem 700 in .308 that I now use for my long range shooting. Other shooters don't start flinching like they did when I uncased the AR-30. I learned a lot more about reading the wind and the .308 is just more fun to shoot. If you will be shooting out past 1,000 yards, the .338 is a great choice, but for anything closer, there are a lot of choices that are less expensive and more fun to shoot. Just my opinion - take it for what it is worth.

Top Bottom