• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kennedy759

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    New Salisbury Ind
    I reload .38 already, and shoot it in my python. using universal powder and 158 gr laser cast lead bullets. buddy just gave me a bunch of .357 mag brass, so I thought I would try reloading them. any problems with using lead in mag rounds? standard small pistol primers ok? looks like I can use my lee dies, just turn them out 1 3/4 turns. Lee says 4 grains of universal for a starting load, any advice?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I reload .38 already, and shoot it in my python. using universal powder and 158 gr laser cast lead bullets. buddy just gave me a bunch of .357 mag brass, so I thought I would try reloading them. any problems with using lead in mag rounds? standard small pistol primers ok? looks like I can use my lee dies, just turn them out 1 3/4 turns. Lee says 4 grains of universal for a starting load, any advice?
    I actually prefer to shoot .357 mag. cases in my revolver with lead bullets. The .38 SPL loads leave a ring in the cylinder charging holes that is somewhat hard to clean. The thing is that I have a hundred times more .38 SPL brass than I do .357, so I usually don't get to do what I prefer. To answer your question, loading those Laser Cast 158 gr. bullets and shooting them in your Python should be A ok. I'm not familiar with Universal powder so I cannot comment on the proper charge.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Be careful shooting a bunch of hot magnums. The classic version is not super strong and a lot of mag loads can cause issues.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    It sounds like you want to load them like 38 Specials. That will work fine. A 158 gr lead bullet is the standard for that type of load.

Regarding powder and primer, stick to what your load data suggests.

Top Bottom