• ...and so much more!
  • Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Anyone have experience with a .357mag automatic pistol. Any feeding problems? I just read that Coonan is coming back out with their 1911 pistol in .357mag. Does anyone else beside Magnum Research Desert Eagle and Coonan make a true .357mag auto?

Last edited:

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    LAR had 357mag versions and conversion kits for the Mark1's. Smaller than an DE, more durable than a Coonan. Hard to find now, very accurate and reliable but pricey! A used LAR Grizzly will cost you as much a 50 DE new! But if find and buy one with the caliber conversion units you can shoot calibers 45acp,45 win mag,357 mag, 44 mag,10mm,9mm win mag,357-45GWM all from single platform. Wolf make springs for the Grizzlies, Bar Sto will make barrels. Coogan Customs/ Acurate plating does some fine work on Grizzlies to boot.
    Don't know about the new Coonans but the originals had mag and feeding problems and were marginal in the accuracy department.

Last edited:

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Anyone have experience with a .357mag automatic pistol. Any feeding problems? I just red that Coonan is coming back out with their 1911 pistol in .357mag. Does anyone else beside Magnum Research Desert Eagle and Coonan make a true .357mag auto?

I have a COONAN 357 MAG, I haven't shot it yet:n00b: But I will soon. GRIZZLY made a 357 MAG.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU

I have a GRIZZLY 45 WIN MAG, the grip is real big, it's to big for my hand, will need both hands to shoot it, BUT the COONAN fits my hands, it's a hair to big, but I can live with it.

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    Well, if you ever decide to part with the Grizz let me know! Where do you think my screen name comes from! It would be well cared for and in company with many of its brothers!
    14 of its brothers to be exact!

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Well, if you ever decide to part with the Grizz let me know! Where do you think my screen name comes from! It would be well cared for and in company with many of its brothers!
    14 of its brothers to be exact!

The LAR GRIZZLY is too big for my hands, I have the LAR GRIZZLY FACTORY BOX, 4 extra FACTORY 45 WIN MAG MAGAZINE, RCBS 45 WIN MAG 4 DIES SET, 7 boxes of HORNADY 230 gr. XTP HOLLOW-POINT total of 350 rounds, 90 + once shot brass.:D

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Bit the bullet

Ordered myself a Coonan .357; now I have to go out and sell some stuff to pay for it. :D I was given a four week build time so time to get out a couple safe queens and list them on Gunbroker. I have done a lot of research on the earlier Coonans and from everything I have read they are very well made. Even the old ones from the first go around sell at a premium. These are just about the same size as a full sized 1911; don't weight four pounds and the size of a shoe box like a Desert Eagle. Figured I can't go wrong as an investment if nothing else but can't wait to shoot it. I love my .357mag revolvers and my 1911 45's so should really enjoy the best of both worlds. :rockwoot:

nightshot.jpg

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Ordered myself a Coonan .357; now I have to go out and sell some stuff to pay for it. :D I was given a four week build time so time to get out a couple safe queens and list them on Gunbroker. I have done a lot of research on the earlier Coonans and from everything I have read they are very well made. Even the old ones from the first go around sell at a premium. These are just about the same size as a full sized 1911; don't weight four pounds and the size of a shoe box like a Desert Eagle. Figured I can't go wrong as an investment if nothing else but can't wait to shoot it. I love my .357mag revolvers and my 1911 45's so should really enjoy the best of both worlds. :rockwoot:

nightshot.jpg

I haven't shot my COONAN yet, but I've order 500 rounds of ARMSCOR 125 gr. FMJ ammo;)

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I had the chance to shoot a Coonan and it seemed like a very fine gun. I really didn't see a problem with it, but just shooting it and owning I'm sure it two different things.

IMO the 357sig is the same fire power in a better designed bullet at least when to comes to autos.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I had the chance to shoot a Coonan and it seemed like a very fine gun. I really didn't see a problem with it, but just shooting it and owning I'm sure it two different things.

IMO the 357sig is the same fire power in a better designed bullet at least when to comes to autos.

With the COONAN autos, you have to apply a little lithium grease to the slide or frame rail so they don't gall & cause a jam:yesway: Also you can't compare the 357 MAGNUM to the 357 SIG, cause you can't really shoot 180 gr. or 200 gr. bullets out of the 357 SIG:twocents:

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Question?

bullet IMO the 357sig is the same fire power in a better designed bullet at least when to comes to autos.[/quote said:
    "Same fire power" curious where you get the data to back up that statement? :dunno:

Top Bottom