• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    I've become interested in a 1911 pattern pistol in 38 super lately. I know ammo is not as easy to find as other calibers. I see a lot of competition shooters use this round to make major power factor, and for good reasons.

I guess I was curious as to any issues with it. Are the rimmed cases a problem? I understand they are finicky in double stack mags, but not hearing any detractions from single stack. How is the reloading with these as compared to others (i.e. brass life with the case pressures)? Any issues I should be aware of before diving in would be appreciated.

I see the 38 super as a good competition round, a venerable SD cartridge and an accurate load as far as I can tell from the data I've gathered. I'm interested in others' experience with the round overall.

Maybe just skip it and stick with .45? Looking to plink, maybe carry, and hopefully shoot some matches with this. Any input is appreciated. Thanks my Hoosier brothers and sisters!

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I think the 38 Super is a much undervalued round, not only is it a great competition round but a great defensive round as well. I have used it in a single stack 1911 for NRA Action Pistol for many years, and use it today for informal competition and steel matches. I also have shoot it a good bit in a SVI wide body without issues with the semi-rimmed design. However if I were building today I think I would go with the 9X23, same round but without the rim. Both are really reloaders cartridges, rather expensive to shoot much factory ammo but excellent defensive ammo is available.

The round will give you very good accuracy, low recoil, the advantage of a few more rounds in the magazine, and is much flatter shooting than the 45. It reloads easily and has good case life. There are a wealth of bullets available reloading in both lead and jacketed.

In my single stack I use Mec Gar mags exclusively, and I have never had a magazine related issue.

This is the 1911 38 Super I built using a Caspian frame and slide...

super1-1.jpg

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    .38 super are not rimmed like a .38 special. Although, it's possible to have a magazine fed auto with rimmed rounds, cf Coonan .357mag.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Not if the rim doesn't extend past the diameter of the shell. Wasn't trying to be historically complete, just giving an example.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    You'll need to reload, to get all the benefits from a 38 SUPER, most factory rounds are barely more powerful than a 9MM, BTW I have a CASPIAN CONVERTIBLE 38 SUPER/ 9MM

iMac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Picked up a colt commander 38 super the other day for a steal! But due to it's value and condition i don't think it will be shot much.

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    If your looking at the 38Super and are worried about feeding issues, you might wanna check out the 38SuperComp. Basically a rimless 38Super with a stronger case.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Not if the rim doesn't extend past the diameter of the shell. Wasn't trying to be historically complete, just giving an example.

On the 38 super the rim does extend past the case wall, it is considered semi-rimmed because of the extractor cut.

rim diameter is .406
    case diameter is .380

If your looking at the 38Super and are worried about feeding issues, you might wanna check out the 38SuperComp. Basically a rimless 38Super with a stronger case.

I really don't think the case is that much stronger but it is rimless. The 9X23 aka 9 Super Comp has more brass in the web making it stronger but you lose a tiny bit of case capacity. Of the two I would say the 9X23 is more popular and brass is easier to find.

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Yes, I just looked at it, and you're right. I'd just assumed it was rimless, but you know what assuming is good for. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

Top Bottom