• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So tomorrow we are heading South to Texas for a week. I have friend whom we will going to visit for a week, perhaps his last. From what I am reading Social Death is the first phase for Hospice. From what I understand it is when a patients World ceases to exist for them. And the World as they know it is gone.

While I am far from Mr. Emotional and I often struggle with trying to say and do the right thing at difficult times. Understanding I have lost a few people in my life in the past but it has always been sudden and unexpected.

I am guessing that there really is not anything some one can do to make a difference, other than perhaps making a few food runs if his appetite warrants?

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Been through it a few times. Just talk to them like a person who is present with you. Don't put them in the past tense. Don't only 'remember when'. If you bring up a topic, it's a neutral one. Let them lead the conversation as much as they like.
    Going to be a rough week to say the least. We usually talk about once a week. We have been friends going on 23 years now.

Letting him lead the conversation is going to be an easy one. unfortunately I am usually not big on conversations.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Plan on being there for the whole week. For what ever it’s worth I wanted to be there for his family as well.
    This. Sit with him and talk in the moment.

Also do what you can to help the family just like you were back home with them under normal circumstances. Just the scenarios will be a little bit different. Instead or making a run for ice for the beer cooler like you may have back in the day, it may be to grab carry out for the fam, or to run another errand for them. or just to sit with him so they can go get some rest and take care of business (or eat). Just another day in the life, really. Just under slightly different circumstances.

Safe travels.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Going to be a rough week to say the least. We usually talk about once a week. We have been friends going on 23 years now.

Letting him lead the conversation is going to be an easy one. unfortunately I am usually not big on conversations.

Yeah. It's a terrible experience, but also a priceless one. Best of luck.

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    In a somewhat similar situation with my mom but its more long term. Take my dad 4 times a week and we find current events to discuss. We stay away from family that has passed previously. At this point she is a listener, so we have to carry the conversations.

Enjoy the time.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    My wife of 24 years was coherent until a few days before her death from cancer in 2007. The last 3 months were discussions of things that aren't usually on a couples agenda, it was obvious it was terminal. Not very emotional for the most part. She was an experienced RN so knew exactly what was happening.

Made her wishes known, most were aimed at making it easy for us. Even at that there were unsaid/unresolved issues. I guess you can't arrange everything anyhow.

The whole process in retrospect, including grieving afterwards, was interesting. Gave me a different perspective on end of life process.

My mom had dementia for a long time. Visits with her were all over the place. Just had to be nice and accommodating . My dad was joking/loving until the end. He passed quietly with all of us around him.

I wish you well on your journey.

Don

Top Bottom