• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JB75

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    fort wayne
    I've done some reading on th 41 mag. and have had the urge to get one for carry and on huning trips anyone have a 41 mag. I have a 454 casull and a 44 mag. just looking for feedback is it worth getting another caliber or do I have it covered

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I've done some reading on th 41 mag. and have had the urge to get one for carry and on huning trips anyone have a 41 mag. I have a 454 casull and a 44 mag. just looking for feedback is it worth getting another caliber or do I have it covered

I have two S & W 657 41 MAGNUM 3 inch round butt, These guns are very accurate with their 3 inch barrel, the 41 MAG kicks less than a 44 MAG, the negative thing about the 41 MAG is the ammo is hard to find & expensive. Since you have a 44 MAG already{41 MAG is a .410 diameter & the 44 MAG is a .429 they're close}The 44 MAG has the advantage of shooting heavier bullets & there is more bullets than the 41 MAG:twocents:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If you're already set up to reload...

I say go for it.

It's a caliber that, if it was ever "in favor" has definitely fallen out of it.

Personally, if I wasn't set up to reload, I wouldn't bother. Nigh on impossible to buy factory ammo from a "local store" (though I did see a few boxes on the clearance table at Gander Mountain the other day...for high prices). Ordering through the 'net shoe-horns you into shipping prices and you're also beholden to the few online vendors that stock it.

I've read a little about it (a recent gun rag had an article on it and a particular revolver IIRC), seems like a cool cartridge that's more than capable of hunting med. size game AND self defense.

-J-

Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I reload the .41 Mag so it would be a no brainer for me. The Ruger Blackhawk I have is simply a joy to shoot and very accurate. I shoot it often, but as stated the factory ammo is not cheap, of course not much is. It is a good caliber, just better if you reload.

DSC00461.jpg

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    It's a great caliber that never made it. It will do about everything a 44 will, trajectory and ballistics are pretty close. When you shoot the 41 it feels like a 44 with the sharp edge of the recoil taken away. The down is To find a 41 for a decent price.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    It's a great caliber that never made it. It will do about everything a 44 will, trajectory and ballistics are pretty close. When you shoot the 41 it feels like a 44 with the sharp edge of the recoil taken away. The down is To find a 41 for a decent price.

If the 41 MAG, would've shown up first, there wouldn't be so many 44 MAG fans;)

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    The .41 mag is a hell of a round. It's accurate and when re loaded right, is more powerful than a 44 mag.

However, ammo is outrageous, 50 rounds can easily be over $60.

So reloading is the way to go if you were to get one.

But, with the money you've already spent on a 44mag, I'd just carry that.

There is something special about a 41 mag though

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I think that if the Police had stayed with revolvers the .41 might have become a common round. The adoption of high capacity semi autos pretty much killed the LEO use of the .41. It is much more powerfull than the .40 S&W. Since it is a revolver, you could also load light target loads for recreational shooting.

Top Bottom