• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Has anyone tried the Hornady .265 gr soft points in the Marlin? I shoot them in my .444 with great results, but have not had time to work up loads for my .44 Marlin yet.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    If you are talking about the FTX, then, yes, I have. You have to use 300gr data for them because of how deeply they sit in the case. Hornady shortens their cases for the "Leverution" loads by .030" to make the OAL work in most magazines (think Ruger M77/44) or feed in a levergun.

I also used them "single action" style with cases that were the correct length. Since I handload, I can make my loads whatever I want, well, within reason. I was no advantage with using these bullets over a good HP, such as their XTP. In the 44Mag, 45Colt, 454 Casull, I see no need for them. If they would allow you to "reach way out there" and retreive game, fine. But, because you have to seat the bullet so deeply in the case that you have less room for powder, you lack velocity and thus, any gain in BC is lost in velocity.

Give me a 44Mag, in a carbine, with a 240gr going 1800fps or so, with a good ole XTP and you can take anything in the lower 48 with it. In my opinion.

Here is what one will do to a feral hog shot right in the eye with one at about 60 yards. This is the exit hole:
    0120001632a.jpg

Top Bottom