• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Just down the road, 48 acres with a marginal ranch house is for sale by owner. I think the first owner died, and the kids are selling it. It has been vacant for at least a year.

I"ll check on the price later today. The site is about 10 miles west of Bloomington in Owen County. Rolling hills, woods and very quiet at night. I think it is well water with access to water at the street.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Sometimes I miss my homeland of Owen County. Ahhh, the beauty of cheap land far secluded from neighbors. It's pretty common around there to see people living in a beat'n down mobile home on 20+ acres of wooded paradise. Some say those people have their priorities mixed up... but a part of me believes they are doing it exactly right.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Sometimes I miss my homeland of Owen County. Ahhh, the beauty of cheap land far secluded from neighbors. It's pretty common around there to see people living in a beat'n down mobile home on 20+ acres of wooded paradise. Some say those people have their priorities mixed up... but a part of me believes they are doing it exactly right.

I've been thinking about heading south or possibly another state and doing just that. Buy the property for the land and live in a single wide while slowly building what I'd want. I don't like the idea of being 50 or 100 feet from a neighbor and the whole McMansion thing doesn't appeal to me at all. Have a nice little garden, land to hunt, and enjoy life instead of living to work.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

Most people I know spent more on their houses than I did on my entire 150 acres and the house I built. I grant you they have very nice houses, but I for one don't actually spend much time IN my house, preferring to be outside as much as I can.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I bought 162 acres and had to wait eight years before I could afford to build a house. However, I am SO glad I did it that way. I love the seclusion, the animals, and the woods. The land is now paid off, and it has tripled in value. There will never be "more" land, so go for the acreage, and enjoy your investment. You can't hunt on paper (stocks & bonds) investments.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Correction....45 acreas with a barn, well and septic. The house is collapsing from termites.

The gentleman wants $250,000. It will not sell for more than $135,000 to $155,000. The gentleman has not a clue based on what has been selling in the area.

PM me if you have any interest.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    Correction....45 acreas with a barn, well and septic. The house is collapsing from termites.

The gentleman wants $250,000. It will not sell for more than $135,000 to $155,000. The gentleman has not a clue based on what has been selling in the area.

PM me if you have any interest.

I would think that putting a price on this property depends on the age of the septic and well and the condition of the barn. Tillable acreage can range from $2500 an acre and up, depending on location. If the well and septic are very old, they really aren't worth much.

It sounds like this gentleman is still placing value on the house that is falling down. I think he is in for a reality shock.

Top Bottom